Connecting the dots of psychology

Kenneth Pargament is a busy man. Between teaching his two classes, his research, his countless interviews and his never-ending duties as a husband and father, the psychology professor was recently named the editor-in-chief of the American Psychological Association’s first handbook on the involvement of religion and spirituality in psychology. Studying the relationships between spirituality and mental health has been Pargament’s calling card since he first came to the University in 1979. Over the past three decades, he has watched the world of psychology evolve to the point where he is one of the foremost experts in his field. When the BBC, USA Today or The New York Times need an authority, they call Pargament. Even before he earned his doctorate degree from the University of Maryland, he yearned to learn what makes people tick. He still remembers the bleak, behavioristic view of human nature that prevailed when he entered the field. And he still disagrees with it. ‘It used to be that few people were interested,’ he said. ‘They were the kind of people who didn’t mind being obscure. But that has changed a lot. The field is getting more attention from universities and around the world in general.’ Pargament humbly hinted that his own research has made quite an impact on the subject. Among the dozens and dozens of books lining the shelves of his office are several that he published himself: ‘Spiritually Integrated Psychotherapy: Understanding and Addressing the Sacred,’ ‘Forgiveness: Theory, Research, Practice’ and ‘Religion and Coping: Theory, Research, Practice.’ By his own count, he has also published over 175 articles during his tenure at the University. With all this international attention and scholarly acclaim, why doesn’t Pargament move on to a larger, more prestigious university? ‘BGSU’s program is really a hidden gem,’ he explained. ‘Well, maybe not anymore. There’s such a great program here that people have begun to notice. This University is one of the main centers for this kind of study.’ The fact that his wife is a therapist based in Toledo might have kept him around as well, but Pargament praised the University as being incredibly receptive even when many institutions were not. Some of his most renowned work involves the ways in which people use religion to cope with major life stresses. These studies stirred up controversy when they suggested that a reliance on a higher power did seem to help reduce mental turmoil in dire situations. Though they weren’t the first of their kind, Pargament defended the neutrality of the studies. ‘People are just so passionate about the topic,’ he said. ‘Atheists are passionate about being atheist, and devout individuals are equally passionate about their own faith. Where there’s emotion there’s power. What makes the difference is for people to try to digest these findings. There are many curious but skeptical people out there, and that group is growing. There is no complete neutrality when it comes to religion. But what guides our research is curiosity. We’re open to whatever there is to learn. We make sure to avoid overly simple statements.’ Pargament’s own spirituality admittedly influences his work, but his Jewish faith is balanced out by the opposing perspectives of his colleagues, such as psychology professor Annette Mahoney. Another important project under Pargament’s supervision is the first major study of the role of religion in the family. As part of the research, Pargament and his colleagues are keeping in touch with 175 pregnant couples through the first year after giving birth. The only real problem he has might seem like a blessing to most: ‘My biggest challenge is how to choose between so many interesting things,’ he confessed. ‘There’s just too much to get at. This is such a new area of study, and the more we learn the more there is to learn. I get overwhelmed sometimes. But there are a lot worse situations to be in,’ he added with a laugh. It sounds like he’s more than capable of coping.’ ‘