23rd Annual Health and Wellness Fair hopes to help University students ‘catch the wave to wellness’

Students looking for a healthier lifestyle this spring can stop by the 23rd Annual Health and Wellness Fair tomorrow and ‘catch the wave to wellness.’

Sponsored by the Wellness Connection and Recreational Sports, the tropical-themed fair is gauged to bring all types of health education opportunities to students, Wellness Connection Secretary Amy Sheldrick said.

‘It’s really a great opportunity to raise awareness about health education,’ she added.

The fair will be hosting over 50 booths in the Union Ballroom from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The first 100 people get a free T-shirt.

Sheldrick said there will also be other opportunities for students to try free food and interactive demonstrations for fitness programs.

‘Students can see ‘hellip; yoga and ‘hip-hop hustle’ and they can participate in [the demonstrations] or just watch,’ she said. ‘

Sheldrick also said the fair is a great opportunity for students who are graduating to come and get information because the fair offers many resources that can help students in their new chapter of life.

‘This could be the last chance for seniors to get this kind of information,’ she said.

The Health and Wellness Fair is meant to present more than a typical informational fair by having many of the booths offer interactive games and free health screenings, Wellness Connection Director Faith Yingling said.

Some of the screenings students can participate in are blood pressure and blood glucose checks, cholesterol levels, sleep disorders, balance testing and the derma scan.

‘[The fair] is not going around and getting brochures,’ she said. ‘It’s more interactive. Taking part in these things is really important for students.’

Yingling said the fair is good place for student and faculty to get involved together on making healthier lifestyle changes.

‘The fair promotes a healthy lifestyle and healthy behaviors,’ she said. ‘It helps give them the tools they need to engage in a healthier lifestyle.’

The fair is also open to all faculty, staff and community members, said Kelcey Brubaker, a Wellness Connection intern.

Students can expect to see booths from dental health, the fire department, organ and tissue donation, weight management, the Wood County Hospital and Health Department, information on alcohol abuse and depression and free massages, among others.

There are so many different booths, there will be something for everyone to enjoy, Brubaker said.

‘It’s all hands-on so students can see the results to gain knowledge about health-related topics they might not know about,’ she said.

The Wellness Connection will also be selling raffle tickets to give away a GPS and a Wii Fit.

Yingling said the Health and Wellness Fair offers so much to students that she hopes they will come and learn. ‘

‘The spring is a time when people are wanting to make a change and get out, so it’s a great time to get this information to people and get people educated,’ she said.

For more information about the Health and Wellness Fair, contact the Wellness Connection at 419-372-9355.