Alone at the top

The Falcon women’s tennis team hit the Mid-American Conferences’ ‘West Coast’ Friday when they beat Northern Illinois 6-1. The win improved the Falcons’ record to 10-4 (3-1 MAC) while the Huskies dropped to 5-11 (1-4 MAC). The win also brought senior Stefanie Menoff her 80th career singles win, breaking the University record. Up until Friday, Menoff was in a three-way tie but broke through the pack to beat the record in her home state. ‘It felt good to break the BG record, and it was nice to do it in my home state of Illinois,’ Menoff said. Coach Penny Dean, though proud of Menoff, stressed that the team as a whole is the important thing in the long run. ‘We are all proud of her, but we really emphasize team all year so do not dwell on her accomplishment,’ Dean said. Keeping up with the team spirit, Menoff is centering her next goal on the team. ‘I would like the team to work hard in the coming weeks so that we can win the final four MAC dual matches of the season,’ Menoff said. Senior Kelsey Jakupcin is also looking forward to the last few MAC matches before the championship, and though the women are on a winning streak, they remain focused in the present during each match. ‘Our team is on a huge high right now, but we aren’t letting it get to us,’ Jakupcin said. ‘We take each weekend one match at a time and are going to keep competing hard in practice and during each match.’ Next weekend, the women will face Akron and Buffalo, both of which currently match the Falcons’ MAC record. Dean is looking forward to watching her team face these competitors next weekend. ‘Both matches will be extremely tough,’ Dean said. ‘Akron and Buffalo have been winning too. Their strengths are different.’ Next weekend will close the road portion of the season for BG. ‘Our team is feeling very good going into our last away matches,’ Jakupcin said. ‘We are all playing extremely well right now and really want to keep up our toughness and quickness for this weekend.’ The women will face Akron Friday and Buffalo Saturday with both matches scheduled to begin at 1 p.m.