Track team has strong outing in Detroit

After recording eight first place finishes last weekend, the BG track team equaled that mark Friday at the University of Detroit Mercy Titan Classic.

Six of the eight first place finishes were in field events despite cold and windy weather conditions. Coach Cami Wells was satisfied with the performances this weekend and emphasized the athletes competing well in tough conditions.’ ‘

‘Our goal was to build on last week and get the best efforts out of each person while staying healthy,’ Wells said. ‘I was very pleased with the overall effort and focus of the team especially given the very poor weather conditions.’ The effort was consistent and solid across the board. This was another step in the right direction.’

There was no overall team scoring in the meet.

Of the eight top finishes, two (hammer throw and discus) were recorded by senior Whitney Hartman.

‘Whitney is a team captain and leader, and I always know she will go out and give her best effort on meet day,’ Wells said. ‘She is a very well rounded athlete and excels in the hammer and has been very consistent in the discus and shot this season as well, which is something that was a focus after last outdoor season.’ ‘

In addition, senior TaKarra Dunning won the shot put, improving her regional qualifying distance to 15.03 meters. Senior Kara Butler set a stadium record in the 3,000 meter run with a time of 10:29.30.

Additionally, senior Kylie Korsnack won in the javelin throw, junior Sabrina Forstein in the pole vault, sophomore Brittani McNeal in the long jump and sophomore Ashley Fischer in the one mile run.

Earlier this week, Mid-American Conference coaches voted on the outdoor preseason poll, ranking the Falcons 11th of 12 teams.

Wells has higher expectations for the team this season.

‘Competition is where you prove yourself. Polls are polls,’ Wells said.

The track team is postponing a home dual meet with Toledo, which was originally scheduled for today, due to projected weather conditions.

The forecast calls for 30 degree temperatures, high winds, rain and snow. It was the Falcons’ first scheduled home meet since before the indoor season ended.

‘We really wanted to hold the meet, but cannot put our athletes or UT’s in a position where risk of injury is that high,’ Wells said.

This Friday, 12 athletes will participate in the Arizona State Sun Angel Classic.