Activists to ‘abduct,’ ‘rescue’ themselves to shed light on children soldiers in Uganda

This weekend, activists will be abducting themselves for a change. In 10 different countries around the world – including the U.S., the U.K., New Zealand and South Africa – and in more than 100 cities, they will be rescued. The liberation will involve various people ‘abducting’ themselves, marching to the designated camp site, staying out in one of the cities and being saved by various people after spending a night in their camp in order to raise awareness for Invisible Children. Teddy Brown, who has been involved with Bowling Green’s part in the rescue said’ Invisible Children represent the child soldiers around the world that have been forced to fight against their will. Invisible Children is an organization which started in 2003 after three filmmakers went to Africa and discovered the situation in Uganda where children are being used as soldiers for the rebel group LRA (Lords Resistance Army) led by Joseph Kony, according to their Web site. This week the students have taken charge to help raise awareness for the rescue including book-binding in the Arts Village to sell at the Union tables and the popular aforementioned documentary being shown every night in the Union theater. The final showing of the documentary in Olscamp was followed last night by a mini-rescue situation, where students at the University abducted themselves in order to be rescued. Joy Savage, an alumna who has been involved with the Invisible Children program for over a year, explained the rescue this weekend is a lobby for change. ‘We want to help to get the world out to help against the war,’ she said. Savage will be attending the rescue in Cleveland this weekend and the rescuers are suspected to be councilmen along with the media covering the event. ‘Hopefully it will help bring the situation to light,’ she said. ‘We want the world leaders to step up. We want the children to be rescued from being child soldiers.’ ‘ There are three other rescues happening in the area including a rescue in Cincinnati and Columbus, and one in Grand Rapids, Mich., according to the Invisible Children Web site.