Professor finds book inspiration in political bar

A Polish bar was the influence for a recently published book by political science Professor David J. Jackson. The book, ‘Classrooms and Barrooms: An American in Poland,’ was published on Feb. 29 about Jackson’s experiences in Poland while teaching on a Fulbright scholarship. Jackson, who taught in Poland September 2007 until February 2008, is third generation Polish, and grew up around the language and music. He specializes in teaching American politics and mass media at the University. While in Poland he spent much of his time in a political bar where he would spend his time talking to the bartender, who was one of the only people in the bar who spoke English. He spoke to many other people at the bar through the bartender, learning many life lessons. Jackson has been back to Poland since leaving in February 2008 and is going back in May on a grant he received from the Canadian government to teach a course on Canadian government. Q: How did you get the idea to publish the book? A: I was sending emails and letters back home and I realized how interesting everything I was doing was. When I got home I took a second look at everything and thought it would be a good idea, as a kind of travel log… I still get excited to see my name in print. I published a book before, but that was more of an academic book. I think more people will (hopefully) read and enjoy this book. Q: What was your favorite lesson that you learned in the bar? A: You have to take people how you find them. You have to slow things down in life. That really helped. Q: Did that help you with things you do in the U.S. in your classes? A: Definitely, just the same lesson to slow things down. I had a lot of fun when I was teaching in classes in Poland, but I realized my lectures were shorter in Poland. A lot of the jokes I would make in class and a lot of the pop culture references I would make wouldn’t stick in Poland. Q: What’s the name of the town you were in? A: [It’s pronounced] ‘woodge’ which means boat, even though the town was nowhere near water. The town symbol was a boat and a paddle, even though there was no water. It was one of those types of towns. Q: And what was the bar called? A: Kresowa (pronounced ‘Krasova’). It’s named after the lands in the east, which were lost during World War II. It was a very political bar. There were about 15-20 photos of Jozef Pilsudski, who in 1918 fought Russia [for Poland’s independence]. Q: What would you change about your trip? A: I would definitely go for a year next time. I regret that I wasn’t there longer, but I couldn’t think of a better way to spend six months.