Two players leave basketball team

Niki McCoy and Victoria McGowan have left the Falcon women’s basketball program, coach Curt Miller announced yesterday. McCoy, a redshirt junior, decided to leave the program after being informed her scholarship would not be renewed for the 2009-10 academic year. She was given the opportunity to remain on the roster as a non-scholarship player, but declined. ‘We are disappointed that Niki has elected not to play for us next season, but we wish her well as she works toward finishing her degree,’ Miller said in a written statement. McGowan, a freshman, left the team on her own terms following a season in which she only played in a little over half the team’s games. She does plan to transfer to another school, and Miller said he is helping her through the transfer process. ‘I am actively helping Victoria search for a new opportunity as she seeks additional playing time,’ Miller said in a written statement. ‘We all wish her well in her future endeavors.’ McCoy, who transferred from Akron before the 2007-08 season, played one season for the Falcons averaging 13.2 points and 5.5 rebounds per game in her 31 contests (21 starts). She was suspended for three games on March 10 following a citation she received March 4 for two counts of operating a vehicle under the influence and having an open container of liquor in her vehicle. Junior Jen Uhl replaced McCoy in the starting lineup for the remainder of the season and is the favorite to continue the role next season. There is no indication that incident was the reason McCoy’s scholarship was not renewed. McGowan came to the Falcons as a player Miller had high hopes for, saying at one point, she was possibly the best natural point guard on his squad. However, McGowan found herself as the third point guard in the rotation behind starting sophomore Tracy Pontius and fellow freshman Jessica Slagle. McGowan only played in 16 games, the fewest of everyone on the team, averaging four minutes a game and scoring a total of 16 points. Her season highlight came against Central Michigan in the quarterfinals of the MAC Tournament when Pontius went out early with foul trouble and Slagle was out with an injury. In that game, McGowan scored six points in 12 minutes.