Indians rally back to win against Rays

CLEVELAND – David Price couldn’t throw strikes, and the Cleveland Indians made him pay for it.

Price lasted only 3 1-3 innings and failed to hold a 10-0 lead in his much-awaited season debut for the Tampa Bay Rays in a stunning 11-10 loss Monday night.

Victor Martinez, mired in an 0-for-18 slump, lined a two-out, two-run single to cap a seven-run ninth inning and Cleveland took advantage of 10 walks by seven Tampa Bay pitchers.

Jeremy Sowers (1-2) pitched five scoreless innings for the win in his first relief outing after 51 career starts.

‘I was able to keep throwing strikes,’ said Sowers, who had only one of nine walks by Indians pitchers. ‘It’s pretty simple. You have to throw strikes to get outs.’

Jason Isringhausen (0-1) struggled to find the strike zone, then grooved a 3-2 pitch that Martinez lined to center to cap Cleveland’s biggest win of the season.

Isringhausen walked the first three men he faced, forcing in one run to make it 10-8 before Martinez delivered.

‘The walks are unacceptable,’ Isringhausen said. ‘I’d rather give up home runs than walk guys.’

The Indians became the first team to make up a 10-run deficit and win since the Rangers rallied to beat the Tigers 16-15 on May 8, 2004, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. Almost eight years ago, the Indians tied a major league record when they came back from 12 runs down to beat Seattle 15-14 in 11 innings on Aug. 5, 2001. The Mariners won 116 games that year.

It was the largest blown lead in Rays history. Tampa Bay had twice led games 10-2 before losing 20-11 each time – to the New York Yankees in 2005 and Cleveland in 1999.

‘When you do something like this, it is special,’ said Indians manager Eric Wedge, whose team still owns the worst record in the AL (18-28) and is just 8-11 at home.

Yankees 11, Rangers 1

At Arlington, Texas, Alex Rodriguez matched a career high with five hits for the Yankees in his first game at Texas since admitting he used steroids while playing for the Rangers from 2001-2003.

Rodriguez drove in four runs and Phil Hughes (3-2) tossed eight shutout innings for New York, which has won 11 of 13.

Nelson Cruz connected against Yankees reliever Alfredo Aceves in the ninth, hitting his fifth homer in six games.

Matt Harrison (4-4) allowed seven runs and 11 hits over five innings for Texas.

Red Sox 6, Twins 5

At Minneapolis, Jason Bay and Kevin Youkilis hit two-run doubles for the Red Sox in the opener of a 10-game road trip.

Jonathan Papelbon survived a two-out, two-run homer in the ninth by pinch-hitter Joe Mauer to get his 12th save.

Michael Cuddyer homered for Minnesota, but Boston’s Brad Penny (5-1) pitched into the sixth for his third straight victory.

Francisco Liriano (2-6) struck out seven in four innings but allowed five runs for the Twins.

Tigers 13, Royals 1

At Kansas City, Mo., Justin Verlander (5-2) allowed five hits through seven scoreless innings and Miguel Cabrera had four of Detroit’s season-high 19 hits.

Cabrera drove in three runs for the Tigers, who won for the 23rd time in their last 31 outings at Kauffman Stadium. Gerald Laird, Brandon Inge and Clete Thomas had two RBIs apiece.

Gil Meche (2-5) lasted just 2 1-3 innings for Kansas City.

Orioles 4, Blue Jays 1

At Baltimore, Jeremy Guthrie allowed one run in seven innings, Aubrey Huff had two RBIs and the Orioles extended Toronto’s losing streak to seven.

Brian Roberts had two hits and scored twice for Baltimore, which came in 3-14 against Toronto since June 7, 2008.

Vernon Wells had the lone RBI for the Blue Jays, mired in their longest skid since June.

Guthrie (4-4) gave up seven hits. Danys Baez worked the eighth and George Sherrill got three outs for his 10th save. Sherrill has not allowed a run in nine appearances since May 2.

Brian Tallet (2-3) gave up two runs and seven hits over six innings for the Blue Jays.

Athletics 6, Mariners 1

At Oakland, Calif., Travis Buck homered and scored three runs, and Adam Kennedy had career high-tying four hits for the Athletics.

Brett Anderson pitched six strong innings for his second major league win with the last-place A’s, who beat Seattle for just the second time in seven meetings this season.

Ichiro Suzuki went 4 for 4 with three infield hits to extend his hitting streak to 19 games, and Kenji Johjima homered before leaving with a broken toe in the opener of the Mariners’ six-game road trip.

Anderson (2-4) yielded one run and six hits. Kevin Cameron pitched three innings for his first career save.

Chris Jakubauskas (3-5) didn’t get out of the fourth inning for Seattle.

White Sox 17, Angels 3

At Anaheim, Calif., Jim Thome surpassed Mike Schmidt for 13th place on the career home run list, and Jermaine Dye and Paul Konerko also went deep in the rout.

John Danks (4-3) breezed after Thome helped stake the left-hander to an 11-3 lead in the third with his 549th home run and eighth this season.

Dye drove in four runs and Ramirez had three RBIs for the defending AL Central champions.

Vladimir Guerrero was 0-for-4 in his first game since April 15, after being sidelined because of a torn pectoral muscle on the right side of his chest.

Ervin Santana (0-2) retired only three of 13 batters in his third start of the season.