Tough economic times forces some bars to reduce staffing

Though several bars in Bowling Green have maintained steady business through the tough economic and winter climate, others have not been as fortunate, leading to cut backs in staffing and hours.

In a Jan. 28 article in The BG News, Junction Bar ‘ Grill was reported reducing staffing and cutting back hours until business picks up again.

Similar adjustments are being made at other bars.

An employee at SkyBar, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, expects business to increase with nicer weather but admitted current business has decreased.

“Business has significantly slowed down,” the employee said. “We are scheduling less people on each night and have been sending people home if we are not busy.”

Ryan Johnson, a manager at Jed’s Barbeque ‘ Brew, said the restaurant has felt only a slight impact due in part to the economy.

“I only started here last spring, but business is a little slower than it used to be in these tough economic times,” Johnson said. “Numbers are down a little bit, but not enough to make a huge impact.”

Jaclyn Pompeani, a junior at the University, said a bar’s closure would have only a minor impact given the proximity of many others.

“It may make it difficult when it comes to variety and wanting to go to several bars a night,” Pompeani said. “But there are so many to choose from anyway that it might not be a huge deal.”

Amanda Fowler, a junior at the University, works at One 49 North and said the bar has seemingly not been affected by economic troubles.

“We are packed almost every weekend, business has been really good,” Fowler said. “Even with the colder weather, people were still coming in.”

Fowler credits the bar’s success primarily to its atmosphere and drink specials.

“[One 49 North] has a different atmosphere than most bars in BG,” she said, adding that there are always drink specials.

Ashley Perry, a senior at the University, is a bartender at Ziggy’s and thinks business has actually picked up this semester compared to last.

The bartenders at Ziggy’s utilize technology as a promotional tool, and the bar runs specials to get people in the door, Perry said.

“All of us bartenders promote the bar and encourage our friends to come in,” she said. “We use Facebook and MySpace to promote special nights as well as sending out mass text messages.”

Beckett’s, in an attempt to increase revenue, now opens at 11 a.m. and started serving lunch as of a month and a half ago.

As for its night-life, Geoff Schwab, who works there, said business has been pretty good.

“We are a tavern, not a club,” Schwab said. “When you come in here it is ‘homey,’ you walk in here and feel comfortable, it is a laid-back atmosphere.”