Rec Center welcomes additions to improve social atmosphere

New vending machines are already in place at the Rec Center, and new televisions and a Nintendo Wii are on the way. These new additions, however, are drawing the ire of some and being welcomed by others.

Steve Kampf, assistant vice president for Student Affairs, explained the reasons behind the move.

“We are looking to make the area more appealing to students,” Kampf said. “We thought if we could make that area look a little nicer it would be more of a lounge-type atmosphere for students.”

The Rec Center has received a lot of flak regarding the funding of these additions, with many believing hours and services will be cut as a result of the changes.

“[These cutbacks] are absolutely not true,” Kampf said. “We set aside money every year for projects in order to improve the facility.”

The new vending machines were paid in part by the University’s vending services, AVI Foodsystems, Inc, and the Auxiliary Improvement Project, a $100,000 annual grant for maintenance and improvements. AVI Foodsystems, Inc contributed $12,000 to the new machines, while the AIP covered the remaining $28,000, Kampf said.

In addition to the new vending machines and TVs, the Rec Center is making a further push to integrate technology.

“We will be getting a [Nintendo] Wii with a TV so students can participate in Wii-fitness type activities and any other [activities] that will make them more active,” Kampf said.

Josh Lusk, a senior at the University, views the changes as a step in the right direction.

“I think it could make the Rec Center a more festive place,” Lusk said. “Students might be inclined to go more often now.”

Roseann Perchinske, a senior, agrees with this sentiment.

“I’m motivated to work out either way, but it might be a lot more fun to work out with a TV in front of me,” Perchinske said. “I do think it would motivate more people to go to the Rec though.”

Not all students are in favor of the changes. Senior Pat Bunetta argues the funds could be allocated in a different way.

“I go to the Rec to workout, not play video games,” Bunetta said. “You can do that at home. They should spend money on new equipment instead of buying Wii.”

The new additions are expected to be complete this May. The TVs are not yet in, and the building is not yet wired for television, though students will be able to start playing the Wii right away, according to Kampf.

“I hear students talking who notice changes are coming. People are anticipating something else will happen here,” he said.