Men make it four in a row

The BG men’s basketball team extended their season-best winning streak to four games and remained undefeated against the Mid-American Conference West division this season with a 68-61 victory over Western Michigan.

The Falcons improved to 12-9 overall and 5-3 in the conference behind the efforts of three double-digit scorers. Nate Miller led the team with 21 points, Otis Polk added 16 and Brian Moten chipped in with 11.

Miller also led the team in rebounding with 13. The senior added three assists, two steals and two blocks and credited his energy for his stat line.

“I played with a lot of energy, and that’s when I play best,” Miller said. “I came out and was a leader for my team and we were able to get the win.”

For Polk, his 16 points tonight came on four-for-five shooting. He added nine rebounds and a career-high five blocks, citing patience for his productivity.

“Taking my time in the low post instead of rushing it has really helped me a lot,” Polk said. “I just try to be legally physical on the defensive end.”

It was Polk’s third straight game in double figure points. Head coach Louis Orr credited his confidence as the reason for his efficiency.

“His confidence is growing,” Orr said. “We want to be able to utilize his size and take advantage of it.”

Orr commended his team for the win despite shooting just 39 percent. He mentioned defense, rebounding and points in the paint as the keys to the victory.

“We have a term of being ‘on the grind,'” Orr said. “Our team’s identity is to be on the grind ” to be able to win games, or have a chance to win games when you shoot [that percentage]. You don’t want your field goal percentage to dictate other areas of the game.”

BG led by as many as 12 in the second half and never trailed after being down 6-4 early in the first half. The Falcons will look for their third straight road win Saturday as they travel to Mount Pleasant, Mich. to go up against Central Michigan.

“Our team is starting to feel it,” Miller said. “We are a confident team right now and playing well together.”