Tennis team rips through Xavier and Cincinnati

Different weekend, same story for the BG tennis players.

Once again, the women have walked away unscathed from their matches, bringing their record to 5-0.

Xavier University and the University of Cincinnati were the Falcons’ latest victims, with scores of 6-1 and 7-0, respectively.

Expected to be a difficult opponent, Cincinnati did not seem to pose an issue for the women, according to coach Penny Dean. She feels the two weekend wins will help to motivate the team next weekend.

“Two dominating wins against good teams is easy to build on,” Dean said. “[Next weekend] there won’t be a problem staying focused.”

Playing in tie-breaker matches against both schools, senior and co-captain Kelsey Jakupcin beat her UC opponent 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (8), but fell short against XU (7-5, 4-6, 1-0 (6)).

“I think the one against Xavier could have gone a little better, but it was a long match and she played well,” Jakupcin said. “I worked my hardest to find her weaknesses and capitalize on them.”

Jakupcin is proud of her team for doing well this past weekend.

“Everyone on our team is successful right now and we all have the best attitudes and mindsets from how we have been playing, especially since we did so well this past weekend against two of the toughest teams on our schedule,” Jakupcin said.

After establishing a 3-0 record at the Perrysburg Tennis Center, the Falcons are ready to hit the road again this upcoming weekend. Their first stop is Michigan State University, and then Detroit.

“We will keep our focus by remembering what we have been doing each week in practice and remembering how successful we have been playing on the weekends,” Jakupcin said. “We know these next two matches, especially Michigan State, will be a test for us and we will stay intense and disciplined the whole week leading up to our matches.”

Dean is also looking forward to preparing for the upcoming matches.

“There are just little things in each player’s game that need more work,” Dean said. “[We are] hoping to practice next week on some fast courts to get ready for MSU.”

The women will face MSU on Saturday, Feb. 21 at 12 p.m., and Detroit on Sunday, Feb. 22 at 6 p.m.

For news, notes and opinions on all BG sports, check out www.bgnewssports.com.

Contact sports reporter Morgan Carlson at [email protected].