Mythological play enchants audiences

Though it originally dates back to the fourth century B.C., Euripides’ play ‘The Trojan Women’ remains relevant in modern culture. Such is the assertion of director Hephzibah Nicky Dutt. A first year theater and film doctoral student, Dutt has previously directed two one-act collections at the University. She makes her full-length debut with Brendan Kennelly’s translation of ‘The Trojan Women,’ which premiered last night and continues tonight at 8 and concludes its run tomorrow with calls at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. Dutt said it was important to her that this production was more than simply ‘another Greek tragedy.’ Both Dutt and Ali Schmidt, a senior theater and film major specializing in musical threater, mentioned the importance of the design team in this production, noting in particular the utilization of creative lighting and sound. Schmidt, who portrays Andromache/Woman 2, also echoed Dutt’s sentiment that the ancient play has much to tell the modern world; ‘Our world is constantly dealing with war, the causes and effects of war, the power of women and women’s role in the world.’ Dutt said in a statement the themes of the play are ‘closer to us than we think,’ and the play ‘brings us back to questions we should never stop asking.’ If the maxim ‘history repeats itself’ is indeed true, this play serves as an opportunity to learn the costs of bitterness and war.