Tennis team falls in pair of upsets

A short-handed squad lost to nationally ranked MSU 7-0 after an injury to sophomore Christine Chiricosta forced the team to forfeit the sixth singles and third doubles flights. The team then went on to lose 4-3 to Detroit, again forfeiting points due to injury. The teams’ spring record now stands at 5-2. Freshman Jessica Easdale remains sidelined due to injury as well. Senior Kelsey Jakupcin does not feel that these losses will affect the team in the long run. ‘I think our team is handling these losses well given our circumstances with having injured players,’ Jakupcin said. ‘We all have been in situations before where we have had a winning record and great start to a season and we come up a little short in tough matches, so our experiences with this have allowed us to handle it maturely and we know we can bounce back in our next match.’ Though MSU blanked the Falcons on Saturday, senior Stefanie Menoff does not think that the losses are linked. ‘I do not feel that the loss on Saturday affected the match against Detroit on Sunday,’ Menoff said.’ ‘Each match is different and has different circumstances. Everyone fought hard in the match and gave it their best.’ Coach Penny Dean will work hard this week to get the team on track and focused for Friday’s match. ‘[We need to] get back on the practice courts,’ Dean said. ‘[We’ll work on] playing longer points and [working in] new doubles teams since Christine is out.’ Jakupcin is also looking forward to getting in some practice time before Friday. ‘I think we need to work on our doubles a little more,’ Jakupcin said. ‘We had some close matches this past weekend and I think with a little more practice and hard work we will get our doubles to where it needs to be. I think we will work on getting our 1st serves in more, and just keeping up our footwork and speed around the court for longer matches.’ On Sunday, Menoff, Katia Babina and Samantha Kintzel all saw singles wins, as well as the Babina/Kintzel doubles matchup. Unfortunately, these wins were not enough to bring the Falcons to victory as a whole. This week, the women will work toward a win against Butler University on Friday (Feb. 27) at the Perrysburg Tennis Center at 6:30p.m. ‘It definitely helps that [the match is at] home,’ Dean said. ‘It’s probably better that we only have one match since losing a point and a half going in is very tough.’ Jakupcin is looking forward to playing at home this weekend and hopes that BG students come out to support the team. ‘It helps that this match is at home because we love playing in front of BGSU supporters and on our home turf where we get to practice everyday,’ Jakupcin said.’ ‘But we won’t take Butler lightly because they are always a tough team and we will stay aggressive and confident.’