Keeping a watchful eye on campus

Better security for the University begins with new camera technology.

Although the process of improving security was started in 2000, the University has just recently begun a lengthy process to update all of the security cameras on campus, as well as adding ‘a significant number’ more, said Sgt. John Shumaker of University police. ‘We have more than quadrupled [the number of cameras],’ Shumaker said.

Before the University began the process of adding more on campus security, there were only three or four cameras in each parking lot. ‘We only had just a handful,’ Shumaker said.

The changes that have already been made, including replacing every existing analog camera with digital ones.

One big problem, Shumaker said, with the old cameras is they zoomed in and out very slowly. The new digital cameras are able to zoom in and out much farther and faster, as well as store more recordings on a new hard drive.

‘I can zoom in on a car, six rows out and record the license plate number. Before, I didn’t have that zoom capability,’ he said.

Shumaker also said the clarity in the new cameras is much better.

‘It was a difference between probably a black and white TV only and having a color TV,’ Shumaker said. ‘It’s that much of a difference.’

The campus is not just updating the cameras. Over winter break, the campus will begin remodeling the entire security room to make it bigger and more accessible with the new technology.

The process of adding new cameras and updating the old ones was started back in September, however, the campus has been talking about this new system for about two years.

‘The more cameras we have, the more chances there are for my students to watch [monitors] at night to catch criminals,’ Shumaker said.

He said the University police have already begun to see the difference the new cameras have been making, such as being able to catch more dorm thieves and suspicious people in parking lots.

Shumaker said because the cameras are now ‘extremely High Def’ he is able to zoom right in on a person and get a clear picture of a face, that are now going to be displayed on the new 50-inch screens.

The new technology is making many students on campus feel safer.

‘I think it’s a good idea because it would be safer at night,’ said sophomore Amanda Sprankle.

Senior Rachael Lohrum also thinks adding more cameras is a good move for University police.

‘I think it’s great because [cameras will] increases the level of safety on campus,’ she said.

Shumaker said although the cameras have made a significant change, the process is not complete.

‘It’s an ongoing process,’ he said. ‘They’re going to add more as time goes by.”