BG men’s soccer hosting Western

Two teams in search of a positive result will meet tomorrow at noon at Cochrane Field as the men’s soccer team hosts Western Michigan.

The Falcons (1-6-2), will be looking to bounce back from last week’s misery of losing two games by a combined ten goals. Their opponents, the Broncos (2-7), have had an easier run of late, finding victories against lesser opponents such as Canisius and Centenary colleges.

First year coach Eric Nichols will employ a 4-4-2 formation for the game, in hopes of strengthening the team’s final two lines of defense.

‘We are bleeding goals, so I think one more body in the midfield will help contain that,’ Nichols said. ‘At the same time we want to maintain our attack, we can do that with this formation.’

Both teams have played IPFW this season, with the Falcons drawing with Indiana after enjoying the run of play throughout, before conceding a late equalizer.

The Broncos were not as fortunate in their match up with IPFW losing 2-0 in their season opener.

The team’s recent training sessions, have given confidence to freshman Joey D’Agostino.

‘We expect to win, we are not taking Western lightly, but I expect to kill them,’ the midfielder said. ‘We had a strong week of training and learned a lot from our last game, we are better than we were last Saturday.’

The Broncos boast reigning Mid-American Conference Player of the Week Saeed Sulemana Baba, who leads the conference in goals with eight, while scoring with 16 points. Nichols knows the key to a victory is containing the Broncos striker.

‘They have won their last two games, and scored eleven goals doing it,’ Nichols said. ‘They have a great forward; he is a handful, and a good goal scorer.’

D’Agostino thinks that the defense will be up to the challenge of stopping the Broncos.

‘Defensively, we are a lot more organized,’ D’Agostino said. ‘We have more numbers behind the ball and more options going forward.’

The game will come in the middle of the University’s Homecoming weekend and admission is free to the public when showing a ticket for tomorrow’s football game. With big crowds expected D’Agostino hopes the squad can put on a show for the fans.

‘A big crowd will help us create drama and motivate us,’ D’Agostino said. ‘It will give us a chance to prove our record does not do us justice.’

Nichols also knows the importance of playing at home.

‘It will be great to play at home and be in our own locker room,’ Nichols said. ‘We feel like we did not deliver for the fans against IPFW last time we played here, so that is our goal on Saturday.’

Shortly after the Falcons finish up their contest, senior Jacob Lawrence will go to the football game where he may be named University Homecoming King..

‘It’s an honor to represent Bowling Green athletics on the Homecoming court,’ Lawrence said. ‘It’s really flattering.’