Women’s soccer needs wins to keep playoffs hopes alive

The BG women’s soccer team has to play two of the top three teams in the Mid-American Conference this weekend. The Falcons (5-9-3, 1-4-3 MAC) will face Central Michigan (13-3-0) and Eastern Michigan (8-5-3) this weekend.

The Falcons will have their hands full this weekend, but coach Andy Richards and his squad know they have to win.

‘There’s a lot of anticipation. A lot of excitement. This team does good under pressure,’ Richards said. ‘We’re due to create an upset. I know Central Michigan and Eastern Michigan are concerned.’

It is pretty much impossible to clinch a playoff bid if the team doesn’t win at least two of their last three games. That means BG must at least defeat Central Michigan or Eastern Michigan this weekend.

The Falcons are coming off a successful weekend on the homestand, beating Buffalo and tying Kent State. But that needs to continue because it’s not nearly enough.

‘It’s not a great position to be in,’ Richards said. ‘We should have already qualified for the MAC Tournament. We are made to compete every single game.’

Central Michigan comes into the game with an impeccable 8-0 record in MAC play. The Chippewas have mowed right through their competition, and in doing have become the team to beat in the MAC.

The Falcons travel to Mount Pleasant today to face the CMU at 4 p.m., then travel to Ypsilanti where they will square off with the EMU Sunday with a 1 p.m. kickoff.

Richards left for their road trip to the state up north with these comments.

‘We are going to go on the road and play two of the best three, I can’t promise anything, but we are going to give it everything we can. I really believe there’s something left in this team,’ Richards said.’