Women’s golf team mentally focused for next tourney

The BG women’s golf team was on the same page mentally last week as they prepared for today’s and tomorrow’s University of Dayton Fall Invitational in Kettering.

On their first day of competition at last weekend’s Mid-American Conference Preview, the women were in last place out of 16 teams, but the Falcons were able to move up a few places by the end of competition.

But after finishing in 14th place last week, the women say they are prepared to work hard this week to get their game back.

‘I believe we need to practice and stay focused but also get our mental game right,’ said freshman Susannah Grunden. ‘We need to remember we’re competing against the course, not other teams and other players.’

With only two tournaments left in their fall season, the women are prepared to put in a lot of time and effort to prove themselves on the course. One of BG’s top scorers from last weekend, Paula DiFrancesco, said the women have been focusing on their mental game and are hoping to improve their scores today.

‘We’re going to put a lot of time in,’ DiFrancesco said. ‘We’ll play some rounds, and each of us have specific things we’d like to work on.’

After last weekend, Grunden continues to be on pace to break the school record for per-round average, improving it to 77.91. In her first tournament of the season last week, DiFrancesco carded the second highest score of the day, trailing Grunden.

‘We all went out there to put solid scores together,’ DiFrancesco said. ‘We stayed focused and played our game.”