DiFrancesco making up for lost time

Not being able to play last year due to an injury, and only playing in two tournaments so far this year has lit a fire under BG golfer Paula DiFrancesco.

After posting the second-best score of the day last week, DiFrancesco proved herself once again this week at the University of Dayton Fall Invitational.

The sophomore provided the highlight of this tournament when she holed the tournament’s only eagle, score of two under par, on the final hole of the tournament. Helping her place 20th with a two day score of 164 (84-79) her best individual performance of her career.

‘It was exciting to make an eagle, especially on the 18th hole,’ DiFrancesco said. ‘It was mostly luck, but it let me leave the tournament on a high note.’

BG finished second in a tournament for the second time this season, finishing 21 strokes behind tournament Champion University of Cincinnati. The Falcon’s first 2nd place win took place at the Youngstown State Invitational earlier this fall.

DiFrancesco is joined by several teammates who also posted season or career best scores this week.”Lauren Glew saw her first top-ten with a 9th place finish, tying her best score of the season 160 (81-79). Earning her best round of the season, as well as her second top-15 finish was Hannah Lambert, ending in a tie for 13th 161 (80-81).

Susannah Grunden placed in a tie for 18th, her fourth top-20 finish. Her score of 162 (82-80) increases her season average to 78.00, but is still ahead of the 78.54 school record average for a season. Also posting her season best score was Megan Gormley 165 (85-80).

Glew says the team knew they needed to post some good scores, and went out there and stayed focused.

‘We’re excited [to have placed 2nd],’ Glew said. ‘It was our last main event of the fall, and we went out there positive, knowing we wanted to shoot a good number.’

The Falcons will compete in their final tournament of the fall season next weekend Columbus, Ohio at the All-Ohio Invitational. Following the fall season, the golf team will resume play on March 5th, 2010 at the Rio Verde Invitational in Arizona.’