Former USG senator relies on leadership experience in city council campaign

Being a follower might be satisfying for some, but for one aspiring city council member and student, being a leader is much more rewarding.

Previously involved in numerous organizations on campus, including Undergraduate Student Government, Resident Student Association and Habitat for Humanity, Rob Emmelhainz is now dedicating the majority of his time to running for Bowling Green City Council’s 2nd Ward seat.

‘I decided to run for city council because I love the city of Bowling Green,’ Emmelhainz said.

His decision was also based on his political involvement on campus and in the community.

‘I think one of the best ways to use my skills as a political science major is to give back to the community,’ he said.

Emmelhainz’s campaigning area covers south of Wooster Street and east of Main Street.

Emmelhainz is running against current city council member John Zanfardino.

‘I have a lot of respect for John Zanfardino, but feel I can do a better job at satisfying the needs of all the residents, students and community members included.’

Treasurer for Emmelhainz’s campaign, Ryan Holly, who is in charge of keeping track of income and expenses, said his previous leadership experiences would help his candidacy.

‘Being that he is a student, he relates better to everyone in the 2nd Ward and he plans on creating a stronger BG,’ Holly said.

Emmelhainz has been active in campaigning by posting yard signs, going door-to-door discussing his campaign with residents and creating a Web site showcasing his concerns and commitments for the city of Bowling Green.

Emmelhainz said he has three main important campaigning messages he wants to convey. First, he wants to maintain an affordable lifestyle for all residents of BG and keep unnecessary legislation from being passed. Second, he wants keep Bowling Green a beautiful city. Lastly, he wants to build strong relationships between the campus, the community and the neighborhood community.

For campaign strategies, he will try to improve upon his unsuccessful run at becoming this year’s USG president.

‘Running for USG president taught me the value of trying new things, whether you succeed or not.’

He also said it taught him perseverance and gave him a chance to perfect his speaking skills.

Neal Jesse, chair of the Department of Political Science, has mentored Emmelhainz since the Spring 2008.

‘Emmelhainz is a nice, thoughtful guy and very personable,’ Jesse said. ‘But most of all, he works well with others and that what makes him an excellent candidate for city council.’

Jesse encourages Emmelhainz to listen to what community members want and to integrate them with his own ideas.

While some politicians may see city council as a stepping stone, Emmelhainz will value the position if elected on Nov. 3.

‘What I value at the city level is that I am giving back to the community and solving problems with that talent I have been blessed with,’ he said.

Holly said that he will have to face some grueling challenges along the way.

‘I believe his greatest challenge is getting voters to the polls,’ Holly said. ‘In previous years, it has been difficult trying to get students to vote in a city council election.’

Emmelhainz has no interest in leaving the city of Bowling Green and would like to one day work on getting his doctorate degree and eventually teaching political science.

To learn more about the Emmelhainz campaign, you can visit his Web site at www.strongerbg.org.’