Golfer shines at Eastern Amateur Championship

Senior golfer John Powers finished tied for ninth out of 168 competitors in last weekend’s Eastern Amateur Golf Championship.

Amateurs, including many collegiate players from across the country, participated in the four-round event at the Elizabeth Manor Golf and Country Club in Portsmouth, Va.

The Eastern is considered to be one of the top amateur tournaments in the country.

Powers carded rounds of 68, 66, 70 and 71, finishing five under par for the tournament.

‘This was one of my best, if not my best performance in any amateur event to date,’ Powers said.

The Bowling Green native said each rounds score was an indicator of his ability to hit a lot of greens in regulation and good putting.

‘I played good all week, I couldn’t hit as many birdie putts as I wish, but at least I was consistent,’ he said.

During the summer there are few tournaments structured to play four rounds.

Powers was one of only a handful of players from Ohio as the field was mainly comprised of east coast players.

‘I thought the tournament was ran well and everyone made me feel welcomed,’ he said.

Powers’ goal was to make the cut after two rounds, and that was more than solidified after holing out from 170 yards for an eagle 2 on the 17th hole on day two.

Shots like that and his overall performance have given Powers confidence as he competes in the Ohio Amateur in Kettering this week.

The most prestigious amateur tournament in Ohio started yesterday at the Moraine Country Club and runs through Friday.

Another solid performance would continue to boost Powers’ national amateur ranking.

‘I don’t want my result in the Eastern to be a flash in the pan,’ he said. ‘I know I can contend to win the Ohio Am.’

Powers said he expects the Ohio course to be more difficult than the one in Virginia, but feels good about his game.

‘I am getting used to what it takes to be consistent in four straight rounds,” he said.