America Loses an Icon

With Michael Jackson’s untimely death last week, I find myself wondering if our society’s intense media coverage and obsession over celebrities is unwarranted and downright cruel.

I’m not disagreeing with the coverage of his death. He was an American icon and deserves to be celebrated and remembered. But like many stars that came before and after him, Michael was consistently bombarded and pressured by the media. Tabloid ‘journalists’ blatantly stalk celebrities on a continuous basis, not allowing them a moment of solitude while they are trying to live their daily lives.

I’m sure most artists appreciate positive media attention to promote their future work, but not being able to eat in public or spend a day in the park with their kids without being followed by the click of a camera would be utter hell. Each individual deserves a certain amount of privacy, and to deny that aspect of life to a person because their picture would sell for a copious amount of money is both immature and selfish.

I’m not blaming Michael’s death on grueling media coverage. I’m simply using a widespread topic to bring attention to the unhealthy relationship we sometimes have with celebrities. During several interviews, Michael stated that his childhood was far from normal and it was a normal childhood that he desired. I understand certain normal circumstances are thrown out when a person becomes a child star, but sometimes a kid just simply has to be a kid.

If we would relax our obsession with celebrities slightly, it would be possible for famous people to live a more private and comfortable life. But instead for decades we have enjoyed throwing young stars to the wolves. Bob Dylan and his family were hassled by the media in the 1960’s, and we all remember the media beat down that provoked the mental breakdown of Britney Spears.

Essentially, I believe celebrities should be treated as human beings. Not as a means to an end, or a circus animal, but as human beings. We need to grow up as a culture and realize the drastic effects that treating a fellow human being like an objectified alien can cause.