Senior golfers teeing off for final collegiate season

As BG senior golfers Megan Gormley and Hannah Lambert step up to the tee this fall, they will be swinging for the last season of their collegiate careers.

Gormley, a Shoreview, Minnesota native had two top five finishes last season, including taking fourth place at the Falcon Invitational.

‘I feel pretty prepared going into [my senior season],’ Gormley said. ‘I’m pretty excited, and the team looks really good this year.’

Lambert shot a career low 74 last season during the LPGA International Xavier Invitational, helping the Falcons to finish in second-place.

‘I can’t believe [senior year] is already here,’ Lambert said. ‘I can’t believe how fast it’s gone. I’m really excited for this year.’

Coach Stephanie Young has nothing but positive things to say about her seniors as they go into their final season as Falcons.

‘It has been a memorable three plus years with these two young women, so far,’ Young said. ‘It’s been so very rewarding to see how far they have come and developed. I look forward to one more season and expect this last year will be quite special.’

Lambert and Gormley will be the first seniors to have played four years under Young.

‘It’s been a great experience, [Young] is the best coach I’ve ever had,’ Lambert said. ‘I love her; everyone talks about what a great coach she is. She’s always been there for us on or off the course.’

Young said she has seen these girls grow into women for the last four years, but hopes her relationship with them will not end on the golf course.

‘Megan and Hannah have been through so much with me,’ Young said. ‘I always say one of the greatest things about my job is the privilege to invest in my student-athlete’s lives each and every day. My hope is that these girls will look back on their time here having lifelong memories and walking away always loving BGSU … and of course, staying in touch with their coach.’

Some of Gormley and Lambert’s best memories of BG seem to have happened with their teammates.

‘[My best memory] is when we broke a school record after playing poorly the first day, and then coming back the second day and improving by about 40 [strokes],’ Gormley said.

‘Playing wise, my favorite memory would have to be last fall when we broke the school record at our first tournament,’ Lambert said. ‘We played with a clean slate and broke the record for 36 holes. Hopefully we can make more memories like that this year.’

Though the women are almost ready to graduate, they do realize there are a few things they can improve upon this season.

‘I’d like to improve my average,’ Gormley said. ‘I’d like to be in the mid ’70s, and play well at tournaments.’

Young also has a few things she’d like to see Gormley and Lambert improve upon.

‘[For] Hannah, we need to work on consistency in scoring which would ultimately lead to helping us secure a more consistent/lower no. 3 to 5 team score,’ Young said.

‘And Megan, I look for her to continue lowering her scoring average by paying attention to the little things and practicing with purpose. Both players have a drive and desire to step up their play not only to go out in with a bang, but also to better the team and our program.’

In addition to improving, the senior women also want to make sure they have a good time while playing.

‘I want to go out there and leave nothing on the course,’ Lambert said. ‘I want to be competitive and just enjoy my last season at BG.’

The women would also like to offer some advice to their younger teammates as they get closer to graduation.

‘Enjoy it,’ Gormley said. ‘Realize that we have a great opportunity here. We’ve got the chance to play beautiful courses and go out and play golf everyday.’

Young feels that the rest of the team can learn a thing or two from their senior teammates.

‘If you work hard, you can and will improve over your career,’ Young said. ‘Both Megan and Hannah have seen tremendous improvement throughout their careers which has been the result of desire, sacrifice, love for the team and game, and hard work, period. They also both manage their time efficiently and effectively.’

Gormley will graduate in December and is thinking about grad schools and possibly law school.

While Lambert, an architecture major, is looking at grad schools out west. She hopes to stay competitive with golf and possibly work as a pro at a golf club at some point.

‘Hannah and Megan have a great understanding of what we want our program to be about, striving to compete at the highest level both on and off the golf course,’ Young said. ‘They were very fortunate to be a part of some great teams early on with players who also left a real impact on our program; Megan and Hannah really got to experience camaraderie and a sense of team right away and they will always remember that, I think.’