Women’s golf team opens season in NC

Ever since the Mid-American Conference Championships last spring, the BG women’s golf team has been preparing for this upcoming weekend, according to coach Stephanie Young.

‘Summer is the best time for golfers to have uninterrupted playing and practice time, a chance to really work on games and improve,’ Young said. ‘But since [the women] have come to campus, official team practice got underway.’

This weekend, the women will head to Western North Carolina to participate in the Great Smokies Intercollegiate Tournament in Waynesville, N.C.

For senior Megan Gormley, her short game has been her focus in preparation for the trip out east.

‘[We’re working on] our short game, chipping and putting,’ Gormley said. ‘That’s where you really win games. That’s how good teams win.’

As the Falcons head east for the weekend, they will face several teams that Young feels will help the women prepare for future tournaments.

‘We will face many southern schools in Carolina,’ Young said. ‘[The] event will challenge us right out of the gate and better prepare us for the MAC and Big Ten competition we will see in October.’

As for her freshmen, Young feels that Jennifer Blanchard, Susannah Grunden and Amy Ruthenberg are ready for their first collegiate tournament.

‘They are loving campus life, [and are] getting settled,’ Young said. ‘[They] have been bringing a lot of intensity and focus to practice for their team.’

They women are scheduled to tee off for their first tournament of the season tomorrow and continue play on Sunday. The tournament, hosted by Western Carolina University, will be played at the Waynesville Inn and Golf Resort.