Women’s golf takes second at tournament

Weather once again cut play short for the BG women’s golf team Monday, though the team managed to stay ahead of the pack, placing 2nd after 18 holes.

The Youngstown State University Invitational was set as a 36-hole tournament, but was cut short due to heavy winds.

Coach Stephanie Young said the women are always prepared, no matter what is thrown at them.

‘Our team is always ready to play no matter what – conditions, etc.,’ Young said. ‘I was very proud of our attitude and effort all day long. With wind that strong, it is extremely hard to stay focused for a 5-6 hour competition. It also alters your game plan quite a bit and becomes somewhat of a survival game. But, this team is tough and wanted to win until the last hole.’

Megan Gormley said she thinks she knows why BG was able to play so well in the five team competition, despite the wind.

‘We’re used to playing in the wind in BG,’ Gormley said. ‘I think that [YSU was] the windiest I’ve played in though.’

Young is happy with Gormley’s performance, and hopes the team will continue to work hard as next week’s tournaments approach.

‘Megan Gormley had an outstanding individual performance with a 79, which was only one of two rounds in the 70’s for the entire field,’ Young said.

‘There were 2 or 3 holes that hurt us coming down the stretch and that ultimately led to us falling shy of the title. Our goal was to get a victory at YSU and we were 3 strokes from it. We will take what we learned, keep working hard, and get back to competition on Thursday.’

Individually, Gormley placed second in the 29 player field with a score of 79 (39-40). Hannah Lambert tied for third place (81), Marisa Glew tied for sixth place (83), and freshman Susannah Grunden finished with an 84, taking ninth place-her first top ten with the Falcons. Lauren Glew placed 11th with a score of 85 (41-44).

The women’s first tournament of the year was also shortened to 18 holes due to rain.

Young said that as disappointing as this was, the team just moved on and did their best with the holes they did play.

‘The weather is on the list of things we cannot control,’ Young said. ‘We are certainly disappointed that we have not been able to play a full event thus far, but every shot counts and we have made the most of the shortened competition.’

The Falcons will hit the road this weekend for back to back tournaments, first at the Nittany Lion Invitational in College City, Penn.

The women will play Saturday and Sunday before heading immediately to the Zippy Invitational in Fairlawn, Ohio.The second two-day competition will run from Monday to next Tuesday.