Women’s soccer to open season at Ohio State

As it’s time to hit the books again, it’s also time for the BG women’s soccer team to start kicking their way back into the Mid-American Conference championship.

‘We go into every season with our eye on the MAC tourney,’ coach Andy Richards said.

The expectations are set high for this year’s team, especially after just narrowly capturing a MAC championship last year -“losing to Toledo in the finals.

The Falcons finished 12-6-4 under Richards last year, and had the opportunity to play in the MAC championship. As with every year there is a turnover of seniors graduationg, and that does impact the team.

Brianne Eisenhard is a big loss for the team from last year.

‘The way she played her position and the way that she played the game,’ Richards said will definitely be missed. But she’ll be helping out the team in another fashion by joining the coaching staff.

‘We have to accept losing [players]; accept it the way it is,’ Richards said.

But with the senior class leaving there are always new players coming into the system, or other players stepping up into bigger roles. Some players that Richards expects to fill these roles are Meagan Moran – for her to step back up and have a good year – and Alicia Almond – who will be returning from an ACL injury.

In addition to those two players, he expects Jackie Tamerlano to have another exceptional year, and for Kelsey Kovacs to step up and contribute on a higher level.

There is also the trio of returning sophomores that Richards expects to play well again this season. Leah Johnson, Megan Amann, and Alyssa Zuccaro all had good freshman years last season.

When looking at the schedule, Richards mentioned that the challenges start with their first game tonight. The Falcons opened their season against Big Ten power Ohio State in Columbus last night. The game was not over by press time.

In addition to tonight’s big game, other notable non-conference opponents include California and Michigan State.

‘Michigan State has done good recruiting in the past years,’ Richards said. ‘And and any game in the MAC is challenging.’

The team will open its conference schedule on Sept. 25 at Northern Illinois.’