Hidden Treasurers: Unearthing the best of BG

Freshman year at a new school can be pretty difficult, especially when students don’t know all the best, cheap places to go. Below is a compiled list of some of Bowling Green’s top places University students love to go for the cheapest and best food and movies.

COOKIE JAR College can be tough, but with the pick-me-up hot, gooey and straight-from-the-oven cookies from Cookie Jar hand-delivered to your dorm, there seems to be a silver lining. ‘It’s a unique place in BG,’ Cookie Jar Manager Christy Johnson said. ‘We offer five different kinds of cookies plus a cookie of the day that are made just for you, hot, right out of the oven.’

The fresh cookies are a little bigger than your palm and weigh over two ounces. Cookie Jar is a local establishment and starting in September, it is extending its hours till midnight.

Junior Katie Ennis agreed with Johnson.

‘I love Cookie Jar because I love warm cookies being delivered to me,’ she said. ‘Especially in the winter.’ Location: 130 E. Court St. Phone number: (419) 354-8780 Hours: Monday and Tuesday: Closed, Wednesday-Friday: 10am-10pm, Saturday and Sunday: 12pm-10pm Web site: www.cookiejarandmore.com

MYLES PIZZA It seems like there are endless amounts of places that make pizza. But which one is the best at making cost-efficient, delicious pizza? Myles Pizza, according to Manager Abraham Valle.

‘We have the best pizza in Midwest Ohio,’ Valle said. ‘We are not a chain; we are a family-owned place.’

She said Myles offers the best for your buck because it offers quality pizza, you get the most for your money, and many toppings. Some popular orders are garlic bread with cheese, cheese-stuffed breadsticks, and any kind of pizza combination.

‘It is really delicious pizza and it’s thick with a ton of sauce,’ Junior Julie Hyman said.

‘Freshman year I would go there every time I was doing my laundry at the Laundromat next door.’ Location: 516 E. Wooster St. Phone Number: (419) 352-1504 Hours: Monday-Wednesday: 11am -2:30am, Friday and Saturday: 11am-3am, Sunday: 12pm-2:30am

VIDEO SPECTRUM Some students might want to chill and relax after a hard day of classes and exams by watching a movie.

Video Spectrum, a video store that has been in Bowling Green for 29 years and recently won the city’s favorite video store, is the perfect place for any movie buff. Video Spectrum has over 20,000 different titles on DVD, Blu-ray, and VHS.

Manager Susan Wilkins said the store has many hard-to-find movies and genres such as cult, foreign, and indie. The store never gets rid of movies, she said.

‘We are a movie buff paradise,’ Wilkins said.

The store is also close to campus.

‘I think it’s easy to use and pretty reasonable in price,’ Senior Erin Parchment said.’ Location: 112 E. Washington (next to Fifth Third on South Main Street) Phone Number: (419) 352-4171 Hours: Monday-Saturday: 10am-Midnight Web site: www.myspace.com/videospectrumbg

WOODLAND MALL MOVIE THEATER When you are a college student, one deal-breaker of movie theaters is cost. Some charge almost $10 per flick.

But Woodland Mall movie theater Manager Dan Esper said every student should go to the Woodland Mall’s theater because not only is it the ‘only movie theater in town,’ it is much cheaper.

On an average day, it costs $4.50 to see a movie and on Mondays and Tuesdays the price lowers to $2.25. In addition, if students show their BG1 card on Thursdays, they can get in for $2.25.

BGSU senior Stephanie Taylor said she loves going to the Woodland Mall theater, nicknamed The Small.

‘I think the theater is fabulous because it’s great that it offers like $2 movies to college students who can’t afford expensive movies,’ she said. Location: 1234 N. Main St. Phone Number: (419) 354-4447 Web site: www.woodlandbg.com/movies.php