Falcons face another challenge with ISU

The Falcon women’s soccer team will host Indiana State tonight for their home opener.

For the Falcons (0-1), they look to pick up a win in their first home game since last November. Coming off of a loss to a Big Ten opponent in Ohio State last weekend, the team has been readying for their next challenge.

‘We aren’t looking back,’ said coach Andy Richards. ‘Everybody did good at Ohio State.’

The team has also been working on what didn’t work last week – mostly their offensive efforts and their transitional game.

‘Possession is a big part of our style,’ Richards said. ‘We aren’t just a team that kicks the ball and chases it.’

The team worked on the basics this week in practice and tried simulating the real game experience as well in order to get ready for their second game.

As for Indiana State, the Sycamores present a new challenge for the Falcons.

‘The girls understand what non-conference is about, like playing teams such as Indiana State, who we haven’t played,’ Richards said.

Richards sticks by his words in always saying no team is to be overlooked.

Indiana State (0-1) comes into this season having made it to the Missouri Valley Conference Championship game last year, only to fall short. They are also coming off a devastating 1-0 loss to SE Missouri State in two overtimes.

The Sycamores also bring an interesting storyline into the game. Coach Erika True leads Indiana State and is no stranger to BG or Falcon soccer, as she played for Richards earlier this decade. She’ll be returning to Cochrane Stadium tonight, but this time standing on the other side.

With this back story and the relatively unknown challenge coming up, Richards still emphasized the importance of focusing on making the Falcon team better.

‘This early in the year you have to worry about yourselves, and not your opponents,’ he said.

Game time will be 5 p.m.

‘We’d love to get as many people down there as we can,’ Richards said. ‘