Bartender combats slow summer with music festival

The music event of the summer is returning, as Tunafest 6 is taking over Howard’s this weekend.

The three day festival began six years ago when Charles Sittnick, also know as Charlie Tuna, thought the summer needed a festival pick-me-up. The festival kicks off on Friday, and will extend to Sunday night.

The event will see 17 bands performing, including Charlie Tuna’s band the Looney Tunas, and his personal jam session. Several other local bands are slated to play, and The Welders, a band notorious for rare Bowling Green shows, are opening up the festival at 7 p.m. on Friday.

Charlie Tuna is well known among Howard’s regulars as a character with more than his fair share of stories.

‘Tunafest is a party for the town.,’ Tuna said. ‘It started as a crazy idea six years ago. I got all the local bands, best bands, to play. Six years later, its a three day music festival.’

Tuna described the Looney Tunes as off the wall covers from a variety of acts such as CCR and John Lennon.

The other bands run the gamut from acoustic to reggae, with rock being best represented.

‘People will recognize it. Its stuff you usually won’t hear being played in a bar,’ Tuna said. ‘Its just a fun time, that’s what it’s all about.’

The tickets will cost $5 though more items will be available for purchase such as mini harmonicas and T-shirts. The Corner Grill will be providing food for visitors.

Tuna describes the first festival as happening during a hot, slow summer.

‘I was able to get the best area bands to play for free, and it was packed,’ he said. ‘It was incredible.’

The event can best be summed up by Tuna himself. When asked what he was looking forward to in the event this year, Tuna said, ‘people having fun.’