Home sweet home

Breezing through their season, the BG women’s tennis team brought their record to 3-0 after Friday’s matchup with Cleveland State University.

The contest was the first of a trio of home matches to be played at the newly opened Perrysburg Tennis Center.

Though they have a perfect record as of yet, coach Penny Dean says the team will not fall into a comfortable pattern.

“It’s still early and our veteran team knows that,” Dean said. “[We are] very motivated to keep improving every week for the [Mid-American Conference].”

The Falcons swept CSU 7-0, with sophomore Christine Chiricosta shutting out her opponent 6-0, 6-0.

“It felt really good,” Chiricosta said. “[The Perrysburg Tennis Center] is great and has a slower playing surface. That’s not ideal for some players, but it’s good for my style of play.”

Though the women won each of their matchups, Dean still felt that she saw some things for each of them to improve upon.

“[There is] still room for improvement, and little skills and game things for each one to improve upon,” Dean said. “Each match is important because it ‘shows up’ something important to improve.”

Playing at first singles, senior Kelsey Jakupcin won 7-6 (5), 7-5.

“I had played [my opponent] in the fall and she beat me, so it felt good to get revenge,” Jakupcin joked.

On Saturday, the day the women were originally scheduled to play Wright State University, Dean gave her players a day off from practice and competition.

“[The WSU match] will not be rescheduled,” Dean said. “We can’t find a common available day for both [teams].”

The CSU match was the first competition for the Falcons at Perrysburg Tennis Center. Jakupcin and Chiricosta are both excited to be playing there this winter.

“I think it’s great, it has a different atmosphere that gives BG an advantage,” Jakupcin said. “The majority of [the team] are indoor players. There’s not as many obstacles like the sun or wind.”

The Falcons will take a week off of competition before playing two more home matches and then hitting the road again. The squad will take on Xavier University Saturday, Feb. 7 at 1 p.m., and then challenge Cincinnati the following day (Feb. 8, 12 p.m.).

Both contests will be held at the Falcons’ winter home in Perrysburg.

For news, notes and opinions on all BG sports, check out www.bgnewssports.com.

Contact sports reporter Morgan Carlson at [email protected].