Zipping up the Zips

The women’s basketball team kept rolling along on Saturday as they picked up their 15th straight victory of the season.

The Falcons did so by absolutely dominating an Akron team that they have now beaten 40 out of the last 42 times that the two teams have met.

In beating the Zips 80-51 and for all intensive purposes ending the game at halftime, the Falcons managed to not look past a team that was clearly not at their level.

“The best teams don’t win games, the teams that play the best win games,” head coach Curt Miller said. “We wanted to be the team that played better tonight, regardless of records, or what people think that would happen in the game.”

The first half was as dominating a performance as the Falcons have put on all season, with defense leading the way.

Aggressive defense has been known to produce good offense, and in this game, that was exactly the case.

The Falcons forced 13 first half turnovers, and had 17 points off those turnovers at the break, while Akron had none.

The aggression wasn’t limited to the defensive end however, as the Falcons’ offense, lead once again by Lauren Prochaska, made it to the line several times. Serving as icing on the cake was the fact that BG was a perfect 10-10 from the line in the half, and 19-21 for the game.

At the end of the half BG had a 44-18 lead and had already emptied most of its bench. All 13 players would eventually see time on the floor for the Falcons, who would dominate the second half just as they had the first.

One of the Falcons’ biggest reasons for success on the defensive end was the play of senior Lindsey Goldsberry, who recorded her 100th career victory on the day.

Goldsberry had the assignment of guarding Akron’s star player Kara Murphy for most of the game, and held her to two first half points. Murphy would finish the game with eight points, 11 below her season average of 19.0.

“She (Goldsberry) might have been the key to the game because of her defense,” Miller said.

Also coming up big for the Falcons was the former Zips star Niki McCoy. McCoy, who played at Akron for two years before transferring to BG as a junior, had 13 points on 5-10 shooting and brought in five rebounds against her former team.

“I’m really happy for Niki McCoy to have a big game against Akron,” Miller said. “She played real well and didn’t let the moment take hold of her emotions.”

Miller was correct in that McCoy didn’t get caught up in the moment. At no time before the game, during or after, did she ever talk to any of her old teammates or coaches.

“I think I’m starting to prove that I made the right decision about coming to BG,” McCoy said. “I’ve been waiting for this one for about a year and a half.”

For news, notes and opinions on all BG sports, check out www.bgnewssports.com.

Contact assistant sports editor Jason Jones at [email protected].