Group wants students to quit smoking

A new quit-smoking group offered by Student Health Services is looking to be more addictive than nicotine.

An informational meeting for a quit-smoking group is scheduled for tomorrow at 4 p.m. in Room 170 of the Health Center.

The group, which will meet for about six weeks, is not limited to smokers, but is also for people using chewing tobacco.

Carrie Arndt, who earned certification as a tobacco treatment specialist through the Mayo Clinic, feels she has the support of the University.

“Helping people with tobacco use is something the University has wanted to focus on,” Arndt said.

For the University, the opportunity presented itself through a grant opportunity by the Ohio Department of Health.

“They were giving grants to colleges and universities for smoking education,” Arndt said. “We applied for that and were one of two universities in the state to be [provided] the grant.”

Topics of discussion for this group will include stress reduction, progressive muscle relaxation, visualization and how to cope with stressful situations, Arndt said.

There is no cost or obligation to the group; it is just for anybody who may be interested in quitting smoking.

“I would just like to see as many people as possible come out,” Arndt said. “There is no time or date set [after the informational meeting]; this will be determined by the people in the group.”

Matt Onslow, a freshman, chews tobacco and is excited about the group’s potential.

“It is great that the University is starting a [group] to help students become healthier in their habits and lifestyles,” Onslow said. “This is something I would consider attending.”

Another student, a senior who requested not to be referred to by name, has been smoking for years and is hopeful the group can help him quit.

“It has been very difficult for me to quit because of the stress related to finances, school, work and life in general,” he said. “Hopefully this group will help me find healthier ways to deal with stress and end my dependence on tobacco.”

For Arndt, her family history plays a role in her drive to help others. Her mom died last year from lung cancer at age 59, and her husband is now 12-weeks free from chewing tobacco.

“It is a personal passion of mine to be able to help anybody in anyway to look at their smoking and achieve their goals,” she said.