BGSU tennis team moving into new facility

As the winter drags slowly on, tennis players – including the BG women’s tennis team – may now seek refuge from the cold at the newly opened Perrysburg Tennis Center.

Just about 15 minutes from Bowling Green, the tennis center will be the home facility for the BG tennis team this winter.

The USTA facility offers eight indoor US Open Blue tennis courts, four outdoor Hydrocourt clay courts and four outdoor US Open Blue hard courts. Three outdoor mini-courts are planned to be installed for younger players.

Opened in December, the tennis center is located at 1750 Progress Drive in Perrysburg, just right off of Route 25. It is family-owned and operated by Julie Weider and her family, who felt that Wood County was the perfect location.

“We felt that a tennis facility was needed in the area, and Perrysburg and Wood County were underrepresented [in that department],” Weider said.

With the economy the way it is, it seems it would be a big risk to open such a facility at this time. However, the Weiders want the tennis center to be somewhere families can go, despite the economy, without breaking the bank.

“The economy was definitely a concern going into [the opening],” Weider said. “We made sure that our membership dues are reasonably priced so that everyone has the opportunity to play.”

The Falcons have been practicing at the tennis center for about two weeks, according to coach Penny Dean, and are looking forward to beginning competitive play there this weekend.

“The team feels extremely welcome [there] and like it is our home too,” Dean said. “We are looking forward to having the home court advantage [this weekend]. The facility is beautiful and has all the latest state of the art things for tennis clubs.”

The tennis center Web site – www.perrysburgtenniscenter.com – gives a shout out to the BG tennis team, welcoming the women to the facility. Weider says she is proud to have BG consider the tennis center their “home court.”

“We are excited to have BG play here,” Weider said. “Penny runs a great program with exceptional girls, and we’re proud to have them here.”

According to Weider, hiring a good staff is one of the most important things when opening a facility.

The tennis professionals at the PTC were with the project from the beginning. The careful selection of knowledgeable staff and pros help to make the facility more accessible and welcoming to players of all levels.

“The employees are fantastic and also excited that they will be our winter home,” Dean said.

From veteran players wanting to get some court time, to the newest of beginners serving for their first time, the PTC is available to help.

“We have beginner classes available for members or non-members,” Weider said. “We have sessions for $78 in which we’ll teach you how to play tennis in six weeks.”

The facility also includes a snack bar, a clubhouse and a pro shop with 24-hour racquet stringing service.

The Falcons will begin competitive play at the PTC on Friday (Jan. 24) vs. Cleveland State University at 6:30 p.m.

For more information on the Perrysburg Tennis Center, they can reached at 419-873-6123.