University cashes in with donated Huntington building

1851 N. Research Drive, a building valued at $1.5 million, is now part of the University, from the generosity of Huntington Bank.

The building, which previously held the operations center for the former Sky Bank, is a 35,000-square-foot facility, which will now be used by the University. A facility of this manner would cost approximately $7 million if the University were to build it, according to a recent University press release.

There is no plan yet for how the building will be used. However, Steven Krakoff, associate vice president for capital planning and design, said it is part of the overall plan of physical improvements. The new plan began during the past academic year with different meetings held throughout the year with members of the student community.

The physical improvement plan has started with construction this summer and will continue throughout the next 15 to 20 years, Krakoff said.

This is part of a strong relationship between Huntington Bank and the University, according to President Carol Cartwright in a University press release.

‘We appreciate Huntington’s commitment to BGSU,’ Cartwright said. ‘Huntington continues to be a strong community partner.’

Sharon Speyer, regional president for Huntington’s Northwest Ohio Region, said, ‘At Huntington, we ‘invest forward’ to support the communities in which we live and work. Our success as a business depends upon the success of our communities.’

Huntington Bank has been serving customers for more than 143 years and has more than 600 banks throughout the nation, with its headquarters in Columbus.

The donated building will join the other buildings that are part of Research Park near Interstate 75.