University grad student arrested for soliciting sex from undercover officer via Internet chats

Whitehouse, Ohio, police arrested a University graduate student on Dec. 3. for importuning and disseminating matter harmful to juveniles.

Christopher Drummond, 26, of McClure, Ohio, was arrested after he allegedly talked online with a police officer posing as a 13-year-old female.

‘The officer was posing as a 13-year-old female on the Internet and Mr. Drummond had an inappropriate conversation with her thinking she was a 13-year-old girl,’ said Ed Kaplan, chief of police for Whitehouse police department.

According to court documents, Drummond began instant messaging with the undercover officer on or around Oct. 3. During the conversations he asked the ‘girl’ to perform sexual acts.

Dave Kielmeyer, senior director of communcations at the University, said he could not comment on the situation, but the University is assisting law enforcement in the investigation.

According to a University release, a student disciplinary investigation is ongoing.

The University Student Handbook states penalties for violations of the student code range from warnings to expulsion.

Drummond is a non-teaching, graduate student at the University and is scheduled to appear in the Maumee Municipal court at 2 p.m. on Dec. 22.