Men’s basketball looks to extend winning streak Saturday at Detroit

December has meant more than finals and the holidays for Falcon basketball; with a perfect 3-0 record this month they’ll look to continue the stretch in Detroit Saturday afternoon.

Historically, Detroit has had the upper hand, leading the all-time series 21-13. But recently the Falcons have had their way with the Titans.

Last season in an ESPNU Bracket Buster game at Anderson Arena, BG held Detroit to 38 points in a 58-38 win.

That point total was the second lowest scored by a BG opponent since February 1, 1964.

‘I know from last year’s game, we just have to compete at a high level. We’ve got to defend and rebound,’ said BG coach Louis Orr.

In that loss, Detroit shot a pitiful 22.7 percent and only had two assists, the two lowest statistical totals since game-by-game box scores were archived in the 1987-88 season.

BG’s last trip to Detroit was also a fruitful one, as they won 81-65 in another ESPNU Bracket Buster game.

So far this season Detroit has been playing well, posting a 6-4 record including wins over Western Michigan and 2009 NCAA Tournament participant Cleveland State.

Most recently the Titans dropped a 75-64 decision at Michigan, and almost pulled-off a win at Tennessee State but fell a point short in a 70-69 loss.

One of the more difficult matchups for BG in Detroit will be center Eli Holman. At 6-foot-10, Holman is amongst the nation’s leaders in rebounds (9.4 per game), field goal percentage (62.1 percent) and blocked shots (2 per game).

While Holman is one of the nation’s leaders statistically for centers, teammate Woody Payne has also made noise nationally, ranking in the top 20 for steals per game with 2.7 per contest.

For BG, the game will also be a homecoming for guard Dee Brown, who was born in raised in the Detroit area. Brown has been one of the most consistent scorers for BG this season, averaging 11.3 points per game and leading the team in scoring the past three games.

Following their trip to Detroit, the Falcons will have a nine-day layoff before hitting the court at Temple Dec. 28.