University continues partnership with Owens Community

The  Falcon Express Dual Admissions program lets Owens freshman identify intent to attend the University.      

The University has had a strong partnership with Owens Community College for many years, and one product of this shared commitment to academic success is the Falcon Express Dual Admission Program, which allows incoming students to attend the University after two years at the community college.

“This program was created to continue to strengthen our relationship with Owens Community College and assist students in the region with transfer and degree completion,” Cecilia Castellano, vice provost for Strategic Enrollment Planning, said.

Castellano also said students will have plenty of help mapping their paths from Owens to the University.

“Academic advisors work with students to ensure they are successful in choosing courses to complete the associate degree at Owens and bachelor degree program at BGSU,” she said.

The program allows students to gain admission to the University and Owens Community College simultaneously. Once committed to the program, students will take two years of general education coursework at Owens required for the completion of an associate’s degree.

Upon completion of one semester at Owens while having maintained a minimum 2.0 GPA, students will be guaranteed University admission after the two years are up.

The program has a lot to offer students, such as supplementary academic support, fewer expenses and less paperwork. University President, Mary Ellen Mazey, said.

Prior to the creation of the Falcon Express program, the University had already been accepting a significant amount of transfer students from Owens each year. Now, students who opt to complete their transfer through the program will benefit from a much smoother, simpler transition, Castellano said.

“I think this program formalizes what students already are considering when starting at Owens,” he said. “This program allows us to complete the admissions process early and transfer credits along the way so students can track their progress to degree at both BGSU and Owens.”

According to the program’s page on the University website, students must meet a few basic stipulations in order to be eligible. Students cannot be former University students nor can they attend any other institution of higher learning after earning their associate’s degree at Owens and moving on to the University.

Students must also make the transfer within three years of enrollment in the program.

President Mazey signed the partnership agreement with Owens President Mike Bower on Dec. 5, 2015. The program went into effect in January of 2016.

To learn more about the Falcon Express Dual Admission Program, students can contact the BGSU Office of Admissions at 419-372-2478 or [email protected].