Softball opens conference play

The BGSU softball began conference play as they took one of three games over the weekend on the road against Mid-American Conference opponent the Central Michigan Chippewas. Central Michigan won both of Friday doubleheader games by scores of 7-1 and 3-1. The Falcons then won on Saturday afternoon by a score of 5-3.

“We did not execute our game plan and had missed opportunities in game two,” said Falcon head coach Sarah Willis. “We knew coming into this weekend series it was going to be tough, but they had our number offensively in game one. I’m proud of the team’s performance in game two, I thought we played a lot better but like I said, we had missed opportunities we didn’t take advantage of and it cost us.”

In the first game of Friday’s doubleheader, Central Michigan struck first with an RBI double towards deep right field that got the Chippewas an early 1-0 lead. The Falcons responded at the top of the third with their only score of the game as sophomore second basemen Aspen Searle reached on a fielder’s choice driving in sophomore Hannah Giammarino for the score which tied the game at 1-1.

However, Central Michigan would respond quickly recording three runs at the bottom of the third. The Chippewas also would score in the bottom of the sixth with an RBI single and would also score two more runs in the bottom of the eighth. The Falcons were unable to produce any offense since the third as the team had a total of three hits compared to Central Michigan’s 10 hits. Central Michigan took game one 7-1 in the first game.

In the second game of Friday’s double header, Central Michigan once again got on the board in the bottom of the first with with an RBI single towards the right field giving them an early 1-0 advantage. The Falcons would respond in the top of the second inning with two runners on second and third following two fielder’s choices by senior third basemen Haley Schrock and freshmen infielder Logan Everett.

It was then Hannah Giammarino hitting the RBI single towards shortstop that drove in the run to tie the game at one a piece. Central Michigan would respond with two RBI singles in the bottom of the fourth and fifth innings and increased their lead 3-1. The Falcons would get a golden opportunity in the top of the seventh as freshmen outfielder Kendyl Wheeler hit a triple to right center and put the team in scoring position. However, the team was unsuccessful in their attempt and the Chippewas held on to win.

“I thought our pitching was better than the first game,” said Coach Willis. “I thought Meredith (Miller) did a great job keeping batters mostly in check throughout the game and gave us a chance to win. Unfortunately we couldn’t quite get the win, but I feel we’ll better tomorrow.”

In the final game on Saturday, Central Michigan got off to a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the third following a throwing error from the Falcons. However, the Falcons offense would come alive in the top of the fourth as the Falcons loaded the bases early with no outs. The first score came from freshmen outfielder Taylor Blevins, who hit a single up the middle and got the team on the board. It was then followed up by sophomore outfielder Alex Sorgi hitting a single towards third base that drove in another run. In addition, Haley Schrock would reach on an error by the

shortstop that drove in another run and Aspen Searle would hit a single down the left field line that got their final run of the inning. The Falcons would have a comfortable lead at 5-1 heading into the bottom of the fourth. Central Michigan would yet respond again with a two RBI single that cut the lead to just two as the Falcons led 5-3. Due to weather, the game was shortened to five innings and the Falcons were able to hold off the Chippewas to get the victory.

“Our offense did a nice job in the fourth,” said Coach Willis. “The lineup was able to adjust and challenged the defense, coming up with timely hits and forcing errors.”

“Miller did a great job in the circle, not allowing the weather to impact her performance,” Willis said. “She was smart in her approach to their lineup, and made good adjustments throughout the game today.”

The team’s next opponent will be on Friday as they once again will be on the road to face MAC opponent the Northern Illinois Huskies on Friday at 3 p.m. Then a doubleheader on Saturday with the first game beginning at 1 p.m.