Mens basketball falls to W. Michigan

Wes Alcegaire  looks to pass the ball down court.

The Falcons mens basketball team lost their second straight game on Tuesday to the Western Michigan Broncos.

The team set a season high for fouls committed with 30 for the game, which is the second most committed in a Mid-American Conference game this season.

The Falcons had three players foul out in the game, which got physical early and led to a lot of delays.

“It was extremely difficult to get into any sort of rhythm with all of the stoppages in the game,” said head coach Michael Huger. “We gave ourselves a chance at the end of the game, but we didn’t play our best, either. They beat us badly on the boards, and we had more turnovers than assists. There’s nothing we can do now except get completely locked in for our game against Ohio on Saturday.”

The Falcons had 13 assists in the game, along with 15 turnovers. Western Michigan had a similar stat line with 11 total assists in the game next to their 16 turnovers.

However, Bowling Green’s fouling was responsible for a big part of the Western Michigan offense. The Broncos scored over a third of their points from the free throw line; going a season high 31 for 37 at the stripe. The makes were more than the Falcons attempted, with Bowling Green going 17 for 25 at the line.

Freshman guard Rodrick Caldwell led the Falcons in the game with 15 points. Caldwell fouled out of the game after 24 minutes of playing time. The freshman also added three assists and two rebounds, and hit three field goals from behind the arc.

Senior guard Wes Alcegaire played for 17 minutes before fouling out of the contest. The senior scored 11 points in the game and added two assists.

For Western Michigan, junior guard Thomas Wilder was seemingly unstoppable in the game. Wilder went 11 for 17 on the floor and a perfect 15 of 15 at the free throw line. Wilder finished with 38 points, three assists, two blocks and one steal.

With this game, senior Zack Denny is now just six points short of scoring 1,000 in his career. He only needs six more steals to move to 10th all time in program history. Assuming Denny scores another six points this season, he will become the 44th Falcon to score 1000 points.

Denny and the Falcons will return to action on Saturday when they travel to Athens to play the Ohio Bobcats. The Falcons have already lost to the Bobcats this season 72-96 in January.

The game is set to tip off at 2 p.m.