SRC offers climbing experiences

The University’s Student Recreation Center offers a variety of alternative activities, one being its 35-foot climbing wall.

The wall is available for usage Monday through Wednesday from 7 to 10 p.m. and Sunday from 2 to 5 p.m., according to the Department of Recreation and Wellness page on the University website.

A day pass for the wall is $5 and a semester long membership is $40. The SRC also occasionally offers ‘free climb’ days, which are days people are welcome to use the climbing wall free of charge.

David Linsky, student supervisor of the University’s Outdoor Program, said the only thing students need to bring with them aside from their climbing pass is a pair of closed-toe shoes. However, he did recommend that climbers wear loose, comfortable clothes.

Linsky said the wall has different sections designed for novice, intermediate and advanced climbers.

“That way, students can choose the difficulty level they’re most comfortable with,” he said.

To ensure the safety of even the most experienced climbers, Linsky said there are always two climbing wall attendants available during the wall’s hours of operation.

Aside from the climbing wall, the SRC also offers a variety of Group X classes including Aqua Fitness, Zumba, and Dynamic Yoga. Elly Schnitker, a customer service associate at the SRC, said she’s noticed these classes are particularly popular among students.

“A lot of people show up for the Group X activities, and they seem to really enjoy them,” she said.

For students and SRC members, a Group X day pass is $5, a semester long pass is $50 and a pass for the academic year is $90. A complete listing of classes and prices can be found on the Group X page of the University website.

Students looking for a creative way to exercise outside of the SRC may be interested in going on trips with the University’s Outdoor Program. Linsky said the program’s next outing is scheduled for Feb. 11, when participants will be traveling to Fenton, Michigan to climb columns of ice.

“From my own experience, it’s far more satisfying to find alternative methods of exercise than to just lift weights at the gym every day,” Linksy said. “When you go hiking or rock climbing, you really feel like you’ve reached a goal—like you’ve accomplished something.”

The registration deadline is Feb. 5, according to the program’s website. For students, the registration fee is $65. Participants should wear winter boots and multiple layers of warm clothing. While there is no requirement for students to have had previous rock climbing experience, it is recommended.