Tour focuses on love in the dark

Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, and the Toledo Museum of Art is jumping on the love bandwagon with dark art.

The museum will be hosting “Look of Love” tours at night in the museum in honor of the holiday.

Scott Boberg, Manager of Programs and Audience, said the tour is a “magical experience” that doubles as a “behind the scenes kind of thing.”

The museum will host two separate night tours on Feb. 11 at 6 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

“Some of the spaces are just spectacular to come in…at night,” said Boberg. “It’s a really (visceral), beautiful experience.”

The tour guides direct visitors to shine flashlights on certain aspects of the paintings to contribute to the “multi-sensory experience,” said Boberg.

Groups of 20 people will tour different galleries featuring scenes of love. The tour routes may vary from ancient to contemporary art and last for an hour.

“You can find stories of love in all spaces and time,” Boberg said. “Some of them are mythological stories…some are sculptural.”

Even though the event is centered on romance, the “Look of Love” tours are still a great opportunity for socializing and meeting new people.

Boberg said attendees do not have to be couples to come to the tour, and it is a good opportunity for students “looking for social experiences.”

There will also be food and drinks served before the tour in the museum’s café.  

Tickets are $25 for general admission and $20 for museum members. The event is recommended for visitors ages 18 and older.

Visit toledomuseum.org for more information.