BG Cares: A Hurricane Relief Drive

BG+Cares
BG Cares

Two hurricanes of historic proportions struck the United States within a matter of weeks and has left millions of Americans struggling to recover and rebuild their lives.

Though hundreds of miles away, each of us can play a small part by participating in BG Cares: A Hurricane Relief Drive. Coordinated through BG Falcon Media, we are asking each student to take a small amount of time and a small amount of money to help citizens who are in need.

We are asking each student to contribute a combination of food, cleaning or medical supplies equal to $5 We will be at a table in the Union Oval Monday, Sept. 25 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and in the Union table area Tuesday through Thursday 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Each day, the first 50 students who drop off a 5-point ($) contribution will receive a free pop socket for their phone. Over the four days, we will be giving away 200 pop sockets. Those not lucky enough to be among the first 50 can enter a drawing to have a chance to receive one of another 50 pop sockets given away at the end of the week.

We’ll also have a hurricane relief banner on which those who donate to the BG Cares campaign can sign their name, pen a message or even draw something in support of those who will receive our donations.

We are working with Impact With Hope in nearby Waterville, Ohio, an organization with more than 35 years of experience delivering food and aid to victims of natural disasters around the world.  Impact With Hope will receive and distribute the contributions that we collect.

The list of acceptable donations is as follows:

Medical

• Band-aids – 2 (points)
  • Antibiotic ointment – 2
  • Pain relievers – 2
  • Rolls of gauze – 1
  • Feminine hygiene products – 5
  • Sunscreen – 2
  • Bug repellent – 2

Household Supplies

• Sponges – 1
  • Rubber cleaning gloves – 2
  • Dish soap – 1
  • Hand sanitizer – 1
  • Laundry detergent – 3
  • Canned of food -1
  • Can opener – 3
  • Diapers – 4
  • Baby wipes – 2
  • AA batteries – 5
  • AA battery compatible flashlight- 4
  • Toothbrush and toothpaste – 2
  • Toilet paper – 3
  • Paper towels – 2
  • Tissues – 1
  • 24-pack bottled water – 3
  • Disposable plastic plates – 2
  • Large plastic trash bags – 2

Campus groups can also compete for the largest number of contributions in three categories of small (10-20 members), medium (20-50) and large (50+) group memberships. The groups with the largest number of contributions will receive a $100 donation t to their favorite charity.