Nowhere quite as gray as college

Alright party animals, it’s time to cool your jets.

I know, I know. I’m such a buzz kill.

Opening weekend is over and it’s time to get on that education grind. Remember? That thing you actually came here to get?

You’re probably sick of hearing advice, but I have some more. 

Throughout college, just about all of us have heard the most important thing is getting involved in all the activities and organizations the University has to offer. While that is important, I’m going to give you some different advice.

Wouldn’t it be nice if everything in life were black and white? Stop, go? Yes, no? The unfortunate truth is life is full of gray areas, and there’s nowhere quite as gray as college. 

Think of it like a stoplight. They’re green and red, and when the lights flash those colors you know exactly what to do, but when it’s yellow, you have a decision to make. You have to either gun it full speed ahead, or hit the brakes hard.

There’s no magic formula for picking which one is right, and no one ever said the decision would be easy when faced with challenges in college. But remember, you’re here for school, and in 15 years you’d rather regret missing the party than missing your diploma.

Do the fun things every college kid wants to do. Go to a party, drink with friends (when you’re of legal age, of course), stay up until 3 a.m. having philosophy arguments with your roommate and soak in the sun on University Lawn. But when it comes to a gray area, err on the side of caution.

If you’re in a gray area of possibly failing a class, gun it full speed ahead and make the grade. If you choose to drink, and you’re not sure if one more is a good idea, hit the brakes. 

You’re adults, and, for freshman, it may be the first time you’re on your own and away from your parents, trusted to make your own decisions. Make smart ones. 

You’ll make mistakes along the way. It’s all a part of the growing process. Take it from someone who’s made a lot — try to take the smart way out, because even when you think you are right, sometimes you’re wrong. You only have so many chances to mess up. Don’t purposely make wrong decisions because the result is more fun.

May the odds be ever in your favor.