Mazey talks freshman class, recent rankings, marketing, strategic plan at SOTU

President Mary Ellen Mazey highlighted the recent successes and advancements of the University during the 2017 State of the University Address. These achievements include the academic achievements of the entering class, high rankings received in the last year, the opening of the Collab Lab and the success of the University’s new marketing.

[[inline_image_identifier fc6be2612b0c14b28943dbdc3c9df12e.jpg]]

“This fall, 2017, for the fifth consecutive year, we have admitted the best academically prepared class in the University’s history,” Mazey said Friday morning during the address.

The incoming freshman class has an average ACT score of 23 and an average high school GPA of 3.45.

For the freshmen in the University’s Honors College, those numbers are 28.7 and 4.07.

This year’s freshmen to sophomore retention rate is 77.58 percent, which is up one-and-a-half percentage points since fall 2016.

“This is nearly a ten percent increase over the past five years,” Mazey said. “Our goal, though, is to get to 80 percent, and we are almost there.”

Statistics for student athletes include an average college GPA of 3.268 and an 89 percent graduation rate, “the highest in the MAC.”

According to Mazey, in the past year the University has been recognized as: one of the nation’s top universities by US News and World reports, ranking 103rd; one of the nation’s most environmentally responsible colleges by the 2016 Princeton Review Guide to Green Colleges; one of the “best for vets” universities in Ohio by Military Times, ranked 46 out of 130 in the nation; number 27 of the 2017 safest colleges in America by data from the FBI Crime Report and the Center for Education Statistics; and as one of the best colleges for your money by Money Magazine.

[[inline_image_identifier 9065f01b29e90bcb4133ab0b898d3368.jpg]]

The president spoke on new and developing programs and initiatives at the University, including a new software engineering degree.

The University’s Falcons express dual admissions program through Owen’s Community College is in its second year now, and over 600 students have opted into the program.

“Now we are about to sign a dual admissions program with Cuyahoga County Community College and also established a new partnership with the Delaware County Branch of Columbus State Community College,” Mazey said.

The University has in place seven strategic goals, which are:

1)      Provide a unique undergraduate learning experience.

2)      Link graduate programs to scholarship and research.

3)      Expand academic, research and public service partnerships.

4)      Advance global engagement.

5)      Foster diversity and inclusion.

6)      Enhance well-being and quality of life for BGSU community.

7)      Develop an infrastructure that ensures success.

[[inline_image_identifier eed4ecd2826b9a5c09f3d29b448db113.jpg]]

Goal two of seven of the strategic plan places emphasis on graduate programs and research. Aligning with this goal is the very recent opening of the Collab Lab in Jerome Library. 

“BGSU has established the Collab Lab, spearheaded by Dr. Jerry Schnepp…this is an innovation and creativity lab that will generate plans for new high tech developments for business and entrepreneurship,” Mazey said. “Please visit the Collab Lab and become part of the innovative, interdisciplinary team effort.”

[[inline_image_identifier 2ceeee29b4c99a0526be196f9fe66879.jpg]]

Recommendations from the Sexual Assault Prevention and Education Taskforce were received this week, Mazey said. 

“We will work this year to implement those recommendations,” Mazey said. “As a community we must all work together to prevent sexual assaults from occurring, make sure survivors are properly supported, and continue to ensure that our investigative processes are thorough, fair, equitable and respectful.”

Mazey thanked the co-chairs and members of the taskforce who worked over the summer on the issue.

Pertaining to goal seven of the plan, infrastructure, the president noted the improvements over the last year to the campus including the Greek Village, Kuhlin Center, Moseley Hall and University Hall.

Since 2011, Greek life participation is up 21 percent, Mazey said.

“Thanks to the gift from the Maurer family, Hanna Hall will be renovated and have an addition and will be the new home for the college of business,” Mazey said.

The University’s Belong. Stand Out. Go Far. marketing campaign has been a success, Mazey said. The marketing is crucial for recruiting students to attend the University. The campaign highlights the supportive environment at the University, students’ academic achievements and leadership skills, and careers and graduate programs post-graduation. 

“Together we are transforming BGSU and building new partnerships that ensure its strong future,” Mazey concluded.