March for Life draws BG locals

Marchers parade in front of the Washington Monument in D.C.

Several University students and St. Thomas More University Parish parishioners travelled to Washington D.C. to the March for Life on Friday.

This was senior graphic design major Sophia Moretto’s fifth year attending the march, and this year she took her fiancé Joseph Bauer, a senior studying computer science and math. Both attend mass at St. Thomas More, but they went to D.C. with a group sponsored by the Diocese of Steubenville.

This year was the march’s 44th anniversary.

“Every year they say the same thing—that they hope they don’t see us next year,” Moretto said.

While Bauer said he went mainly because Moretto wanted him to, several events surprised him as a first time marcher.

“I just couldn’t get over how many different people there were, especially at the mass at the basilica. It was overflowing,” Bauer said.

Bauer and Moretto left Thursday morning and attended mass at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception that night. The mass took about two hours because the church was so full. It was broadcasted for those sitting at other places in the church, and attendants sat in the aisles to fit more people.

After the mass, the basilica offered adoration until 6 a.m. the following morning before another mass and rosary for life. Two separate youth rallies began at 7 a.m. which included speakers, a live house band, masses and personal accounts of abortion and euthanasia experiences until early afternoon.

There was another band and rally right before the actual march, including a speech from Vice President Mike Pence.

The march began on Constitution Avenue around 1 p.m., and the two-mile walk lasted about two hours.

Bauer also said he was surprised by the radicals showing graphic abortion images and other Christians yelling at Catholic marchers.

However, Moretto said the number of youth stepping up is impressive, and the walk has definitely grown larger since she first started attending in 2011.

“I always thought it was just a lot of youth. I’m surprised at how many older people were there,” Bauer said.

He always thought it was something youth parishes went to, but that adults steered clear of.

“It’s actually pretty impactful to see just so many people joining together for life,” Moretto said.

While she said she wished there was more of a focus on all life instead of just abortion, joining together for the most recent issue was still beneficial.

Bauer said there were also marchers advocating for refugees and ending euthanasia. The march signified all life is sacred.

The walk is now always held on the last Friday in January, after a change last year from its original date on the anniversary of Roe v. Wade.