BG ends season with lopsided losses

The Falcons’ season ended pretty much the same way it started — on a low note.

While the Falcons entered the playoffs winning three of their last four games, that momentum did not transfer to their playoff series against Nebraska-Omaha, as they dropped both contests by a 6-1 score.

The Falcons could not get consistent goaltending in this series.

Andrew Hammond got the start Friday following his strong performance the previous Saturday against Michigan State. He proceeded to give up four goals on 18 shots in just over 22 minutes of action.

Nick Eno came on in relief and gave up two goals on 23 shots in 37 minutes.

Eno got the start Saturday, and he gave up four goals on 28 shots in just over 36 minutes.

Hammond gave up two goals on 12 shots in 20 minutes of relief.

Phil Greer played the last 3:19 Saturday, not facing a shot.

BG got off to a rare fast start in Friday’s game, as Tomas Petruska continued his hot streak with his tenth goal of the year just 5:45 into the game. James Perkin assisted the goal.

That was the last thing that went right for the Falcons in the game, as the Mavericks scored six unanswered goals, four coming in the second period, to win game one.

The Falcons were 0-7 on the power play in the game, while they only killed three of the six penalties they took. They were also outshot 41-26.

Saturday started off similarly for the Falcons, as the score was tied at zero after the first period.

For the second straight night, however, the Falcons allowed four goals in the second period, all coming at even strength.

Despite being down by four entering the third, the Falcons came out strong, as Brennan Vargas scored his fourth of the year to make it 4-1.

The Falcons appeared to cut the Mavericks’ lead to two with about eight minutes to go, when Jordan Samuels-Thomas unleashed a shot from the slot that was initially saved. Several Falcons drove the net and poked at the puck.

While the puck was still in Nebraska goaltender Jeremie Dumont’s glove, it was originally ruled his glove slid over the goal-line with the puck underneath. After a lengthy delay, the call was reversed.

The Falcons allowed two goals in just under a minute to seal their fate.

“I thought in the third period we came out hard,” interim head coach Dennis Williams said. “That’s one of the characteristics of a team we want to build is hard work, and that’s a good foundation for it.

“I thought we worked really hard in the third, it was just the second period that was our issue this weekend.”

The Falcons’ tumultuous season is now finished, with an overall record of 5-25-6.

Nonetheless, the Falcons have much to look forward to for next season, with a lot of young talent on the team, a strong recruiting class coming in, and renovations set to start on the BGSU Ice Arena on March 29.