Flyers soar over Falcons

The BG baseball team was unable to parlay their success in Florida over spring break into a complete team effort after classes resumed.

Since their weekend sweep against Eastern Kentucky, when they scored 37 runs in three games, the team has dropped five of their last six games, including Tuesday afternoon, when they were shut down by the Dayton Flyers in a 4-2 loss.

Freshman Nick Bruns got the start, his second of the season, and pitched well, giving up four runs — three earned — in five innings of work.

The bullpen gave up only three base runners in three innings of work, including another perfect inning from Charles Wooten, and the team did not commit an error after a horrendous defensive series against Northern Illinois.

However, the team left their bats at home for the game.

They only managed to get six hits off of Dayton starter Eric Wagner, who went 6.1 innings, giving up two earned runs.

Trent Haughn pitched the final 2.2 innings, giving up one hit and striking out four.

The offense was once again feeling the effects of not having Logan Meisler, the team leader in walks and arguably their most patient hitter in the lineup, as they were unable to draw a walk in the game.

He has not played since game one of their double header this past Saturday after getting hit by a pitch.

The Falcons scored one run in each the sixth and seventh innings.

In the sixth, Mark Galvin scored on a sacrifice fly by Clay Duncan, and in the seventh, Jon Berti scored on a double by Matthew Pitzulo.

Pitzulo and Galvin each had two hits, combining for more than half the team’s total.

The bottom three batters in the Falcons’ order combined to go 0-for-8 at the plate.

BG falls to 7-12-1 overall and still stands at 1-2 in the league.

The Falcons will take on Eastern Michigan in Ypsilanti this weekend, their second weekend of Mid-American Conference play.