Battling the school up north

For the first time this season, the BG softball team will renew its rivalry with Toledo.

The Rockets come to town this weekend to take on BG for two games as both teams will look to snap their three and two game losing streaks, respectively.

The battle of I-75 will begin Saturday at 2 p.m., and conclude Sunday with a 1 p.m game.

Toledo has struggled this season, posting a record of 7-24 overall and 1-3 in Mid-American Conference play.

The Rockets are just 2-5 at home but were able to kick off MAC play with a win due in large part to sophomore Jillian Spink.

Spink leads the Rockets with four home runs and 23 RBIs.

Junior Kate Ricchio hit her fourth triple of the season in a 9-1 loss to Central Michigan University on Saturday.

The triple moved Ricchio into a tie for second-place on the school’s single-season all-time list.

She also extended her hitting streak to 10 before going hitless the next day against CMU.

The Falcons haven’t played since their battle with Eastern Michigan on Saturday and Sunday.

The double header scheduled on Wednesday against Notre Dame was postponed due to inclement weather storming across the Midwest.

Currently the games have been tentatively rescheduled for Wednesday, April 28, beginning at 4 p.m.

The Falcons will turn to freshman Paige Berger to lead them.

Berger leads the team with seven home runs and 14 RBIs. Senior Susan Sontag leads the team with three triples.

BG last met the UT in March 2009 when the Falcons defeated the Rockets 6-4 and 9-1.

The Falcons have dominated the all-time series with the Rockets, boasting a 53-33 record against their rivals since the inception of softball at Toledo in 1981.

After this weekend’s series with the Rockets, BG will travel to Ohio State for a double header against the Buckeyes on April 14. Game time is set for 5 p.m.