Patience at the plate

Logan Meisler has always been a patient hitter.

However, the growth of that patience has significantly progressed throughout his career at BG.

“I’ve always been a leadoff hitter, until I came here, and now again this year recently I’ve been back in the leadoff spot,” Meisler said. “That’s the leadoff guys job, not to strike out, to see a lot of pitches to help the rest of the guys in the lineup, and to see what the other pitcher is throwing.”

During his career at BG, he has walked one more time than he has struck out, but that is just one of many impressive things he has accomplished in four years.

He is a career .328 hitter, with seven homers and 94 RBIs in his three plus seasons. He has also been solid with the glove, posting at least a .958 fielding percent in each of his previous three seasons.

Logan’s parents, Chuck and Eileen Meisler, are both former Falcons, and Logan says that had some influence in his decision to come to school here.

“Both of my parents graduated from here, the school offered me the most money, and it was close to home,” Meisler said.

Meisler attended Port Clinton High School, where he lettered in baseball all four years, and also lettered in basketball and golf. As a senior, he was named team MVP, as well as to the All-District team and first team All-Ohio.

In his high school career, he totaled the third most hits in Ohio High School Athletic Association history.

The accolades have not stopped for him at the college level. Last season he was named first team All-Mid-American Conference, as well as an academic All-MAC player.

“I was really proud of that, because during the season when you’re missing a lot of class, it’s hard to keep your grades up,” Meisler said. “But if you work hard in the classroom it usually carries out to the field.”

Now midway through his senior season, Meisler has built up plenty of memories on the field, including back-to-back MAC regular season titles, but for him, last season’s was most special.

“I’d say definitely the MAC Championship last year,” Meisler said. “We were down 9-0 against Akron, and we scored 17 runs to win the MAC Championship.”

Even though the team has struggled this season, the winning culture head coach Danny Schmitz has brought to the program still has Meisler’s goals for the rest of the season high.

“Our number one team goal is to win the MAC tournament and we could still do that,” Meisler said. “Even though we aren’t where we want to be in the standings, as long as we qualify for the MAC tournament we can still accomplish our number one team goal.”

Meisler says that he would like to continue to play baseball for as long as he can, but if it doesn’t work out for him, he won’t worry about it.

“I’d like to play in the future, but I already have a good job lined up for after college, with our family business,” Meisler said. “So either way, it’s okay with me.”

Many people say patience is a virtue, and it is one that Meisler has used to be successful both on the field and off of it the last four years. And it’s one that he will likely look to use to help make the Falcons a serious threat for a run at another MAC title.