Track team splitting squad for two seperate meets

The BG track and field team is splitting between two meets this weekend.

Some of the team is finishing up competition today at the 26th annual Toledo Invitational, while the rest of the team will be competing in Columbus at the 25th annual Jesse Owens Track Classic today and Saturday.

All throwers are competing at the Toledo Invitational, while Kristin Boettcher will battle in the hammer throw in both meets.

BG had to schedule two meets this weekend because the meet in Columbus had qualifying standards in order to enter. Not all BG athletes met the standards, and so that the entire team could compete this weekend, the Toledo Invitational was scheduled.

The Falcons will see half of the Mid-American Conference teams between the two meets this weekend. In addition to the host Toledo, Central Michigan is competing at the Toledo Invitational. In Columbus, the Falcons will face Eastern Michigan, Buffalo, Akron, and Kent State.

Scoring in both meets will be quite a challenge as each meet will feature over 20 teams.

“Both meets will feature good competition and a large number of teams,” said coach Cami Wells. ”We will have an opportunity to compete against solid competition in all areas and best prepare ourselves for the MAC meet in a couple weeks.”

The Falcons are looking to use these two meets to elevate their performances to put themselves into position to have a strong showing at the MAC Championships in two weeks.

“I feel that the athletes competing in both meets will see the competition they need to see and have the opportunity to accomplish what needs to be accomplished heading into the MAC meet,” Wells said.

She feels the team will need a well-rounded effort in order to have the type of finish it is aiming for. The key for the team is to get the best effort possible from every athlete.

Wells said the team is a bit more rested than in past meets, and right now she feels the biggest strength of the team is its health. And with numerous season-bests and personal records being broken so far this season, the team is hoping the combination will translate into a solid finish at the MAC Championships.

The Toledo Invitational resumes at 11 a.m. today, while competition at the Jesse Owens meet begins today at 2 p.m.